Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Apple Consumer Electronics    My iPhone keeps breaking up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My iPhone keeps breaking up
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of Carol Goodell
posted
Hi,
People keep telling me that my iPhone keeps
breaking up and they can't understand me.
What do you think is wrong and, more important,
what can I do to fix it?
It is a replacement iPhone for my original
iPhone which died.
Thanks so much for your suggestions and comments.
Sincerely,
Carol

Posts: 1473 | Location: Bingham Farms, MI, USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
How many bars do you see on the top left of the phone when this happens? Maybe you are simply using the phone in a poor coverage area.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5416 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
My son is constantly working with the techs at AT&T, they are aware of the problem which is tower oriented and are working to fix the problem.

Some of their towers have equipment which needs to be replaced/updated. If you are between coverage areas both towers broadcast creating an 'echo' effect. Most notably this occurs to a cell user talking to a landline user.

Mel
LifeTime Member

Posts: 60 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI. USA | Registered: August 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Carol Goodell
posted Hide Post
That is very interesting news, Mel.
Thank you!

Posts: 1473 | Location: Bingham Farms, MI, USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Carol Goodell
posted Hide Post
Hi Jack,
You asked how many bars I'm seeing. Frankly,
I haven't paid attention to the number of
bars. However, usually when I'm in a back
bedroom, I'm connecting on EDGE. But when
I'm in my Great Room, I am near my Airport
Extreme Base Station and have 3 or 4 bars.
In both locations, however, I have experienced
breakup. Things were somewhat better today -
fewer people told me I was breaking up. And
that was on EDGE.

Thanks for your question and help.

Sincerely,
Carol

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
EDGE is only for data, it has nothing to do with voice. The bars tell you how strong your signal is for voice and data.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5416 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Carol Goodell
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack.
Every day you make me feel more and more ignorant.
And embarrassed to be so.
But I do greatly appreciate your expertise.
I'll check the number of bars the next time someone tells me I'm breaking up on my iPhone.

Best Wishes,
Carol

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Carol,

Do not be embarrassed. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I actually know. This is the truth behind "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". When I stop learning, I will no longer be.

A truly ignorant person is one who is unaware of personal shortcomings, not one who attempts to remedy them.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Carol Goodell
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much, Jim!
I don't know any more, but I feel smarter thanks to you! : )
Best Regards,
Carol