Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Apple Consumer Electronics    Photo strangeness from iPhone 8
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photo strangeness from iPhone 8
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted
On Christmas day, my sister used her iPhone 8 to take a series of family photos, with our group in different poses and arrangements.
I then used AirDrop to transfer the 25+ photos from the Photos album on her iPhone 8, over to my Mac. AirDrop worked niftily, as always.
When I went to move the pix out of my Downloads folder to another destination on the Mac, I noticed a very strange thing. Instead of being numbered sequentially, "IMG_5121.jpg, IMG_5122_jpg," etc., the photos were numbered in completely random fashion, like 3022, then 6745, 1074, 4833, etc., with no two numbers in sequence.
Wonder if anyone else has seen this and could offer an explanation. It's not at all important for me that the photos are in numerical sequence, but it is odd.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
What was the sort order in Finder?

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Finder is the only place I could see IMG_xxx numbering. That's how I noticed the weirdness. The images were sorted "by name" of course, but they start with a low thousands number and jump randomly in increasing order. Sorting by "date added" or "date created" doesn't change anything, since the photos were all shot within a period of a few minutes.

photo numbers from iPhone 8

Posts: 1098 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Is this an effect of "Live Photo" which takes multiple frames (really a mini-movie) for each press of the button?

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Cutler:
Is this an effect of "Live Photo" which takes multiple frames (really a mini-movie) for each press of the button?

I don't know if that was active or not. Still, doesn't seem like there would have been seven thousand or so exposures over a few bursts. I only see four or five exposures with each separate pose we did.