Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Services Offered    Looking for data recovery - OF A FLOPPY!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for data recovery - OF A FLOPPY!
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
Yes, I have a client who has a 1.4MB floppy from about 1999 or so. It has some files on it that he'd like to restore. Unfortunately, our attempts at using a USB drive on a G5 failed and I don't want to keep trying things and damage the disk or it's data (assuming the data is still there).

Does anybody have an old G3 or G4 with a floppy drive that we can use/borrow? I'll work with the client and bring the disk.

Any other suggestions (besides data rescue) ??

thanks all!

chuck

Posts: 164 | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
I can help with this but I'm going to be out of town till Monday. Are they in a hurry???

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2095 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
What kind of files are they, produced by what program(s)and on what computer? I have a 520 that can probably read them. I have external floppy readers for G3 and G4 but they plug into USB. I've not had any trouble reading any oppies with them. Why do you think you think you cannot use such a drive? I've never owned a G5. I used those drives to transfer Claris Works files to my more current computers. I did find out thY I had to format the diskettes to Mac format before I wrote out onto them with the 520. I could them use them in my newer G4s which used the floppie USB Drives I have.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Oh Chucky,

I have a Power Mac 5400 with a built in floppy drive. It's an All in one unit. Is this the tool you seek? Even has built in ethernet......Does it have to be a G3?

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1721 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
We have a floppy drive with USB connectivity that we just used to pull info off a 1998 1.4MB Floppy. Very portable too.

Posts: 412 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post