Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Tip of the Day    Use Linksys VELOP Mesh Network without re-doing what you have.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use Linksys VELOP Mesh Network without re-doing what you have.
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted
At our meeting October 21, the question was asked,"Can I use VELOP Mesh networking with my existing router?"
According to Linksys Support the answer is "Yes."
quote:
Bridge mode allows you to add your Linksys Velop Intelligent Mesh WiFi System to an existing Wi-Fi. For example, if you have an existing router or modem router (gateway) and you want to continue using it as your router, you can add a Velop system to increase its Wi-Fi coverage.

quote:
The dashboard should display Your Velop is in bridge mode to indicate that you have successfully set your Velop system to bridge mode. Once the node is in bridge mode, the primary node must always be connected via an ethernet cable to your existing router. The secondary nodes can be connected wirelessly or with an ethernet cable.

The practical effect of this is that you can set up a VELOP Mesh and test it without altering your current router configuration. Then, if the coverage meets your requirements, you can disable bridge mode and replace your existing router.

Calvin says, "Backup Now, not after you lose your data."

Posts: 1961 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Jim,
if the coverage meets your requirements,
do you really have to disable bridge mode
and replace your existing router?

What would be the downside to leaving the
Velop in this bridge mode configuration?

Posts: 1606 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would be the downside to leaving the
Velop in this bridge mode configuration?

First is more devices to manage.
Second is no fancy VELOP features "including Parental Controls, Device List, Speed Check, Device Prioritization, and Wi-Fi MAC Filters."

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
What do Wi-Fi MAC Filters do?

Posts: 2263 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
I left mine in bridge mode as my existing router was consistently faster than using the Velop as a router. I’ll try it again after the next firmware update

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6151 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do Wi-Fi MAC Filters do?

MAC address filters are used to limit access via WiFi, Ethernet, or other media to a particular connection point. By filtering for all MAC addresses of your equipment, you can keep other users off your network. (Until they discover and mimic an allowed MAC address.) It keeps out the lazy intruders.
quote:
A media access control address (MAC address) of a device is a unique identifier assigned to a network interface controller (NIC) for communications at the data link layer of a network segment. MAC addresses are used as a network address for most IEEE 802 network technologies, including Ethernet and Wi-Fi (Wikipedia)

Generally, using WiFi MAC address filters is excessive work for minimal benefit. Use of strong WPA2 (and soon WPA3) passwords provides much more robust access security.