Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Tip of the Day    Sync your iPhone or iPod touch at least once a day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sync your iPhone or iPod touch at least once a day
 Login/Register

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted
With all the wireless capabilities now built into the iPhone and iPod touch such as push email and syncing via MobileMe, you could literally go for days if not weeks without having to plug your iPhone/iPod touch into your computer. Technically the only thing that needs to be "sync'd" via the USB cable anymore is pictures and other media such as songs, movies, etc.

However, there is a danger in going too long without a sync. Every time you plug your iPhone/iPod touch into sync it first does a backup of the device onto your hard drive. This backup contains the things that are on the iPhone that you may not be thinking about such as your Notes created on the device, data for all your dozens of apps, text messages, call logs, etc.

If for some reason your iPhone/iPod touch becomes damaged, lost or stolen and you get replacement, you'll only be able to restore as of your last backup! If you haven't backed up in a while you could lose a lot more than you're thinking about right now.

So to combat this potential loss of data, backup on a regular basis by plugging in and doing a sync.

I sooooo wish Apple would allow this over Wi-Fi because I think people would do it more often if they didn't have to physically plug in!

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6151 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Are we still stuck with having to back up to only one particular computer?

Posts: 2262 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
My guess on why syncing over Wifi isn't a feature yet is fear of the battery going out during the sync. Some people would probably try to sync 5-20 gigs of Content (Photos, Music, Video, Applications) on a low battery and wonder why the battery quit after 15-20 minutes. Contacts (address book, calendars, etc.) typically sync much faster.

Again, just a guess...

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2095 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I think that is a very likely guess. It certainly makes sense.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
A couple of easy ways around this:
1) it could be restricted to a certain level of remaining battery before working.
2) it does the backup first anyway and worse case is that if it died, during the sync nothing is lost. Same as yanking the cable out during a sync. Software updates could still be done (required) via the cable.
3) it could also be restricted to a certain amount of data. So if you're syncing more than say 5GB it would require the cable.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
My guess on why syncing over Wifi isn't a feature yet is fear of the battery going out during the sync. Some people would probably try to sync 5-20 gigs of Content (Photos, Music, Video, Applications) on a low battery and wonder why the battery quit after 15-20 minutes. Contacts (address book, calendars, etc.) typically sync much faster.

Again, just a guess...

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6151 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Backup has been enabled on multiple computers pretty much since day one:

I sync Media (music, movies, etc.) from my iMac
I sync data and photos from my MacBook Pro

When I plug in to either computer to do a sync it backs up first on either computer.

quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
Are we still stuck with having to back up to only one particular computer?

----

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
So your most current backup would be on whichever computer you used last? That would be perfect for me. At least if my laptop (which is where I currently back up my Touch) were lost or stolen , I'd have another backup on my desktop at home. Correct?

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
yes, that is correct.

quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
So your most current backup would be on whichever computer you used last? That would be perfect for me. At least if my laptop (which is where I currently back up my Touch) were lost or stolen , I'd have another backup on my desktop at home. Correct?

----

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
You could limit wireless backup to happen only when plugged in to charge, that, most of us do daily.

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post