Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Tip of the Day    Use "copy" to duplicate files
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use "copy" to duplicate files
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
EXAMPLE: I inadvertently saved a couple of new files to the folder on my backup drive, rather than main drive. Since I might have "lost" them during a Superduper backup, I did this:
1. With the Finder folder window from the backup open (- the one with the new files), I selected all the files (only about 5 or 6), pressed Cmd-C to "copy" [NOTE: No need to open the files. Just select their icons.]

2. Located and opened the same folder on main drive, and opened to Finder window.

3. Clicked inside the folder window, and pressed Cmd-V. Voila: All files "copied" into the main drive folder. 3 of the files were already there, so the choice of overwriting them was presented. I cancelled those, and only the new files went into the folder.

(Hope this makes sense. As usual with a Mac, it's easier to do than explain briefly!)

Steve Klein - Maybe an idea for your "tiny tips?" (I'd do it, but various conflicts and family needs have made my meeting attendance erratic this year.)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Just confirming that this technique can be handy day-to-day. If there's a reason to maintain just ONE file or folder because edits or additions don't have to be duplicated, then this is NOT the best idea. Use an alias.
However, there are times when an item is relevant in more than one place with no changes anticipated. Rather than positioning windows and option-dragging to make a copy, keep it simple:
- Select the icon for a file or folder and Cmd-C "copy"
- Then go to the other location (a different folder, even an active backup drive) and Cmd-V "paste"

Simple, fast.

PS: This method can even save drive space, in view of my recent discovery that aliases can be HUGE files, regardless of the size of the original. Each situation has to be analyzed for the potential benefit.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
An alias shouldn't be "huge." It's only a pointer to the actual address where the file resides.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Donna, I agree 100% - They shouldn't be huge. However I found out differently. - Here's the discussion. Still not sure if it's related to my older MacOS, but here's the story:

http://macgroup.infopop.cc/eve...487055586#9487055586

PS: Just double-checked "info" on a couple of folder aliases on my desktop. Same results: Both are 5.8MB

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo,

An alias is not a duplicate of your original file. It is merely a link or shortcut to the original file. Clicking Get Info on an alias should show you the original file size because that is the point of the alias.

Also a 5.8mb file is quite tiny by todays standards.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2096 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave,
I understand what the alias does. (more detail in the discussion linked above).
However, when I linked to some actual files to verify their size, then noticed the icon for the alias was in most cases MUCH larger in size, it was a mystery why this was the case. I would have expected an alias icon to be minimal in size.

See my screen shot in the larger discussion:
http://macgroup.infopop.cc/eve...487055586#9487055586

-------
Do you mean that alias icons are bigger today?
- Or that most files / folder collections are bigger. That I can understand.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
A setup and screen shot to illustrate what I'm talking about. A copy of an original folder = 33kb.
The alias icon is 5.8MB
(Finally got the image that really shows the difference!)

Poobah
posted Hide Post
One more - "Get Info" for the Alias
- obviously not the size of the actual folder

This discrepancy is quite uniform on my computer - not limited to these files / alias icons. I can replicate comparable differences with any folder & its alias. The Alias is always 5.8MB

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I just did some playing with some of my folder aliases. While most are normal size, I found 3 that were 1.2 MB and up. Opening them caused the 2 bigger ones to go down to 656 and 664 bytes, but the 3rd stays at 1.2 MB. For the record, all are in a root level Google drive folder. Sierra quirk, maybe?

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3762 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... this is odd.Now I have something else to look into!

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2096 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Just checked my MacBook Air, and no problem with folder aliases. This is what it looks like on the iMac:

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3762 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post