Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Tip of the Day    Sending Web Pages
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sending Web Pages
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
At the January MUG meeting, Terry presented his favorite Mac Tips & Tricks. It's a very popular topic, and no matter how many times I attend or watch this presentation, I always learn at least one new thing or remember some useful tip I'd forgotten.

Terry has been demonstrating how to send a Web page in Safari (Command + I) ever since the feature was introduced in . . . Panther, was it? (Of course, the Mozilla browsers --Netscape, Mozilla, and now Sea Monkey-- have always had this feature, accessed by Click-and-hold.)

But I'm surprised that he doesn't follow-up with with an essential attending tip to this: don't send the entire page.

I don't begrudge Web sites for filling pages with ads, because that's a small price to pay for me to have free content. But you certainly don't want to be mailing the ads in your message. They contain photos and often GIF animations that really bulk-up your message, and your recipient (especially one with a slow connection) doesn't want a big message full of ads. The New Yawk Times site often displays ads from Microsoft -- do you want to be sending Microsoft ads?

And since the ads take-up a lot of room on each page, chances are only a portion of a large article will be sent if you send that ad-infested page.

The way around this is to find the Print button on each page. Of course, only old ladies who are new to computers ever actually print an article, but clicking on the page's Print button will bring up a new page devoid of ads, and it usually includes the entire story. That is what you want to send.

The Times site and Politico.com and others simply bring up a page with no ads, but the Print button at the Detroit Free Press site will take you seriously and also open your Print menu. Just click Cancel and send the ad-free page.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that using "Print" to change the format of the webpage before you send, will not include any images or charts, if the article has pictures, nor will it include any clickable links. Another thing I find very useful is to change the format to Print, Select All then go to Services and have the computer read the article to me.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
You will get images and charts if the creator of the page hasn't suppressed them. It's up to the creator of the site what things will print and what will be suppressed for the most part (you have control over things such as backgrounds, for example). This is done via CSS.

The same is true of ads. Printing this page, for example, will print the ad at the bottom. Ads on many pages are in separate sections (called "divs") or sometimes different frames. Most browsers will only use the largest div or frame when printing, so often you can cut out ads to the sides or top. But this is not a guarantee. The ad here is not in any sort of separate section, and so appears in any print.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5469 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
this poster is not talking about printing the webpage. The reference was to articles, like the New York Times, where there are several little click options--send an email, print, buy a copy, etc.. When you choose PRINT there, it gives you a clean copy of the text to print. You then go to the regular system print option dialog box to print that. That is what I use to do text-to-speech. That is what the poster was referring to, I believe. That option does not give you the images. Just straight printing from the system menu does that.

Posts: 2262 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
1st off I appreciate the tip. However, the way that I deal with not sending content from the page that I don't want to send is either by simply deleting those sections from the Mail message once the page is in the body of Mail OR by simply highlighting just the part that I want to send in Safari and copying and pasting just that section into a New Message. Mail does a great job in maintaining the original HTML formatting from a copy paste.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6151 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Alas, with most newspapers and magazines the accompanying photo is often not available at the website. With newspapers, this is because they have licensed the photo from an agency only for the print edition, and the agencies don't want their photo copied for free on line.

For the "Print" versions of a web page that lack a graphic that appears on the original page, you can always copy-and-paste the image into your E-mail message. That's waaaaaay easier then deleting all the individual ads from the message, especially the ads which are inserted in-line with the text.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
quote:
this poster is not talking about printing the webpage.

Yes, I got that. It doesn't change what *I* was saying. When you select print, especially off a link on the page, you are given a version crafted by the page creator, which may or may not still contain the ads. This is entirely up to them - my point being, that choosing print does not guarantee an ad-free version of the page. It is usually a cleaner version.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5469 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
I just now tried to send an article from the latest issue of The New Yorker, and although clicking on the Print link did give me a completely ad-free page, it was only a synopsis of the article.

I'm a subscriber, so I'm entitled to view the magazine's on-line edition (which is page-for-page identical to the print edition), but using Command + I on any of the pages brings up only a blank message in Mail. A screen shot of the window can be taken, but the page cannot be sent from Safari.

Curiously, Keychain will not remember my password for the site. It's a good thing I keep everything written down on a notepad.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
These are all options set by the page creator (including not allowing your system to remember the password).

===