Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Tip of the Day    Dictionary
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dictionary
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Sometimes a lot of info is right under our nose on the Mac.
- The DICTIONARY app is a treasure trove. Actually it is a combination of the New Oxford American Dictionary, Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus, Apple Dictionary, AND (surprise) Wikipedia.

Enter a term or terms in the upper right search box. Depending on the term, an abundance of info shows up. (Did you know there's special category of "Freeholders" in New Jersey? Who'd have guessed!)

In doing some reading for family history, I encountered terms used in colonial America that I was not familiar with. The Dictionary app told me just what I needed to know.
(Another "colonial thing": "Ear marks" were actual marks made in the ears of one's livestock - serving a purpose similar to branding cattle today, and the patterns had to be registered & drawn in a record book in each town / community. - All from my reading & the Dictionary.)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
AIM: Online Status For steven@yourmacexpert.com
posted Hide Post
Here's another interesting tip about Dictionary:

There's a special URL format that can auto-launch Dictionary and bring up a definition.

To make it easy to include definition links in posts, I've created a website to automate the process. Just use a URL that looks like this
http://macdefine.com/?your-word-goes-here

Here's an example: To see the definition of Freeholder, click here.

--
Steven Klein Computer Service
Apple & A+ Certified
Your Mac, PC & Network Expert
Phone: (248) YOUR-MAC
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Ingenius, Steve.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post