Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Tip of the Day    Search tip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Search tip
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
"Search" is a huge topic, but here's something I've found useful:

I use Cmd-F more than Spotlight.
If your term brings up 3000 files, but you just want those from a certain application, add (the plus sign) "Other." In the blank field that appears, enter the name of the application. The list will filter out anything except files done in that app.

Example: I wanted a particular Finale file. The title starts with the word "National." Well, the 3000 (or was it 5OOO) file list showed up.

When I added the "Other" as a criterion, and entered "Finale," Voila the list narrowed to the 12 files I wanted.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
P.S. When searching, keep in mind that duplicate files on your backup drive will also show up, if it's connected all the time. (Hence the thousands of "finds")

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post