Pressing Cmd-F and entering a search term(s) normally gets me about 500 or so results I don't want to sort through.
("I just know it's a Pages document.")
TO NARROW TO DOCS OF A PARTICULAR APPLICATION:
1. Cmd-F for the search window. Enter your term.
2. Keep the "Kind is Any" selections
3. Use the plus mark at the right to add more criteria.
4. Select "Kind is Other." This opens a blank space.
5. Enter the application (ex. "Pages")
Voila! Search narrow dramatically.
Investigating the added search parameters is quite worthwhile.
"Lost" that doc you know you did yesterday?
Add a line, then select "Created date is yesterday."
"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes