Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Tip of the Day    Finding the owner of a locked iPhone you found
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding the owner of a locked iPhone you found
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
AIM: Online Status For StevenGold
posted
In another social-media forum I'm on, someone asked "What should you do if you find a locked iPhone in the street with no way of finding out who’s it is?" and I thought I'd repeat my answer here as I'll bet few are aware of this!

Method 1: Turn on the phone. Press & hold the home or side button to invoke Siri. Say “Who does this phone belong to?” and Siri will display the contact info for the owner! (This works even if the phone is locked)

Method 2: Press the home or side button. This will bring up the screen asking you to enter the passcode. At the bottom you’ll see the word “Emergency”. Press it and a phone-dialer keypad will appear (by law, phones allow you to call emergency services (911, etc.) even when locked.). If the owner has set up a Medical ID (highly recommended), you’ll see a button labeled “Medical ID”. Press it and if it’s been set up you’ll get the name of the owner, some medical info (ignore that) and the phone number(s) of their emergency contact(s) which you could call and tell them you found the phone! (Most first responders have been trained to do this to get the emergency medical info from a locked iPhone).

Posts: 234 | Location: Oak Park, MI | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
AIM: Online Status For StevenGold
posted Hide Post
Someone told me they tried #1 and it didn't work.

That means you haven't set your own entry in Contacts as "My Card" so Siri doesn't know who you are. (If you ask Siri "Who am I?" it should tell you.)

Go to Settings --> Contacts --> My Info, and select your entry in the Contacts list to set it.

Posts: 234 | Location: Oak Park, MI | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I created custom lock screen graphics for my iPhone and iPads. The iPads have my name, email and iPhone number. The iPhone has my name, email & home phone number. Instant info.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post