Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Tip of the Day    Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition Software
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition Software
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
From the ZD Net website there was an article or blog about Virus now attacking Mac computers. They recommend downloading an anti-virus program called "Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition". It is a free program for Macs.
Does anyone have an experience with that program or know anything about its merits or effectiveness?

Posts: 139 | Location: Southfield, MI 48034 | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
It's not a virus. It's a trojan and you must give it your permission to install itself. Most anti-virals cause more headaches than they cure. I don't run any of them. I do use normal caution and don't download from unknown sites. I don't automatically grant permission or put in my password unless I'm trying to deliberately install something. My browsers are set to download only to the desktop (where I can see what's going on) and to not automatically expand archives. Common sense will keep you safe.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3762 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post