Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Tip of the Day    Info onDigital Preservation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info onDigital Preservation
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
The following article on preservation of digital data exerpted from the excellent Eastman's Online Genealogical Newsletter should be read by anyone concerned with digital archiving and preservation.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wi...Paper_8_Oct_2010.pdf

Posts: 269 | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Lots of good info here. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 2263 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eastman's Online Genealogical Newsletter

Gordon - Do you subscribe? What are the benefits, etc.?
I have the international Ancestry.com membership, and also Footnote.com (now a wholly owned subsidiary of Ancestry - which basically "owns" several sites such as Rootsweb.)

I'm deep into a genealogy / family history project that just keeps getting deeper somehow. It's like a treasure hunt - and not everything can be found on the web, or is ever likely to be on the web. (Learning the ins & outs of visiting Probate Courts, county land & tax offices, local genealogy societies, etc. VERY interesting.)

One tidbit: Went to the family history area in Ohio a couple of weeks ago. After some planned activities, had a free day. On the way to do yet more cemetery photos, happened through a small-town (VERY small - about 500 people) senior center that was having a lunch & rummage sale. Went in to visit & talk. One thing led to another ("call so & so about such & such"), and a couple hours later we found ourselves on the chunk of land purchased by a Channel Island original immigrant ancestor to the area. We had no idea until I expressed an interest in finding the property "some day," and the owner who had invited us to look over old church records & such said "you're sitting on it." Then she showed us the ORIGINAL land patent purchase document, 1823, signed by President James Monroe. - Drove us around the property, opened the old country church (now closed) for us to go in & see.
THAT'S the kind of experience the web will never provide, though I found information that helped make it possible.

Just curious whether one more membership would prove its worth, or just be more to read when I could be doing the research & organizing of all the info.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Jo Disler,

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post