Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Desktop Publishing    Which Mac should I get for Photoshop CC?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Mac should I get for Photoshop CC?
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted
I'm long overdue for an upgrade of my current iMac, a 2007 model.

Wondering what would be the best for Photoshop CC without breaking the bank.

Mac Mini* (Can it run 2 displays?)
MacBook Pro*
27" iMac
or 27" 5k iMac

*I have a 23" IPS DELL Monitor, but will need to buy a Keyboard & Mouse

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
All of the choices can run two displays.

Here are decision considerations:

1. Is the screen good enough for what I want to do in Photoshop? [size, resolution, color gamut and accuracy, power consumption]

2. 8GB is minimum memory I recommend for Photoshop on Yosemite, I prefer 16GB. Some of your possibilities can be upgraded to 32GB, some must be purchased with the desired RAM size.

3. More CPU and Graphics horsepower makes Photoshop more tolerable or even fun and productive.

4. The CPU/GPU combination becoming obsolete (think OS) may require replacing a screen (iMac).

5. If you want the biggest and best screen available you have no choice except the 5K iMac -- Note that skimping on memory on this machine is definitely false economy. Thunderbolt enclosures like the OWC ThunderBay IV make internal drive size and speed moot in the long term.

For our photo work, we are pleased with our matching Mac mini Core i7 (Late 2012) with 16GB RAM booting from modest SSD with /User and photo/video storage on 7200rpm drives in OWC ThunderBolt IV. We have upgraded the CPU box three times still using the same Dell U2412 as primary displays. I have lost count of external storage upgrades as our library grew over the years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James R. Cutler,

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info!

I'm wondering if I would even need to use my 2nd monitor with the 5k iMac. Though I've been running dual screens since the '90s and like to have all my Photoshop tools on it.

Currently at work I'm using a 27" iMac with 16GB RAM & a Fusion drive with a 2nd 27" monitor. It makes my 2007 iMac seem quite sluggish!

I'm also looking at the refurb options from Apple as well but most don't come with a fusion drive or a the extended keyboard with number keys.

Going to have to visit the Apple Store and get some hands on with the various models.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post