Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Desktop Publishing    InDesign CS 3 and CS 4 Adobe PDF Presets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

InDesign CS 3 and CS 4 Adobe PDF Presets
 Login/Register

Padawan
posted
Does anyone know where the Adobe PDF Preset files (.joboptions) are stored on a mac for InDesign CS 3 and CS 4?

When I imported some Adobe PDF Presets (.joboption) files into InDesign, they appeared in the list with brackets, designating them as defaults. Now that they are there, I want to replace them with new settings, and I am unable to because the application thinks they are default when they are not.

Why does the application add brackets to the presets that I make and add myself? How do I delete them?

On another mac, I can add and delete presets without a problem. On this other mac, the presets appear in the list without brackets designating that they are not defaults.

Posts: 50 | Location: Livonia, Michigan | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
If placed here, they will appear without brackets:
Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings.

If placed here, they will appear with brackets, as defaults:
HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/ AdobePDF/Settings

Posts: 1624 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but why do some macs add the brackets and some do not?

Posts: 50 | Location: Livonia, Michigan | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
It possibly depends on where the file is saved.
One location represents computer-wide access,
while other represents a User account.
You can relocate your file to the User location to
have easier editing access to it.

Padawan
posted Hide Post
What decides where the file is saved? Shouldn't all macs save these files in the same location?

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
The installation itself saves default files computer-wide (HD).
The process has no idea who the Users are or will be, so computer-wide is the best and logical location.

The User, when selecting 'Save As' in the Adobe PDF Presets dialogue box after defining a preset,
can decide to save this file ANYPLACE on their computer. The default location is in the Users directory,
for that User that created the file in the first place.

If that User wants any other account that may be created on that computer, now or in the future, to
be able to access that preset, it should be saved in the computer-wide location. If not, it should be
saved only with that User account, where it will be deleted if that particular account is ever deleted.

From an installation standpoint, the files are saved in the same locations, from a User standpoint,
they may or may not be.

Padawan
posted Hide Post
The problem with presets was not the location of "Save As", it was when clicking the "Load" button, it would make the loaded settings default.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't understand what you wrote.
Could you please clarify.

Padawan
posted Hide Post
Sorry, hopefully this is more understandable.

In your email, you had said that adobe pdf presets can be 'saved' anyplace, and that they should be saved in a location where anyone can access them. That is not what my problem is.

Here is the problem:

Last year, I set up adobe pdf presets for all 38 of my mac operators to use. I want them all to use the same set of presets when exporting pdfs. Due to some changes in our workflow, I needed to revise the adobe pdf presets. I created a new preset and saved it on to a location on our server. Each mac operator located the pdf preset and 'Loaded' it into there system through InDesign CS4 the Define Adobe PDF Presets window.

The problem occurred when 5 of the 38 mac operators attempted to 'remove' the old preset (that I had created last year). The old preset (that I had created last year) was showing up in [brackets] in the adobe pdf presets window, which designates the preset as being a default preset. These 5 operators are unable to delete the old preset. The delete button is grayed out.

My 2 questions are this:

1. Why is the preset that I created last year, and that they loaded into InDesign last year show up in the adobe pdf presets window as default [with brackets]?

2. Where on the computer are these adobe pdf preset files located, so I can go into this location and manually remove the unwanted presets.

Thanks.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffN:
Sorry, hopefully this is more understandable.

In your email, you had said that adobe pdf presets can be 'saved' anyplace, and that they should be saved in a location where anyone can access them. That is not what my problem is.

First of all, I said that the presets 'should be saved where everyone can access them
(computer-wide)' only if that is the intent.

Here is the problem:

Last year, I set up adobe pdf presets for all 38 of my mac operators to use. I want them all to use the same set of presets when exporting pdfs. Due to some changes in our workflow, I needed to revise the adobe pdf presets. I created a new preset and saved it on to a location on our server. Each mac operator located the pdf preset and 'Loaded' it into there system through InDesign CS4 the Define Adobe PDF Presets window.

The problem occurred when 5 of the 38 mac operators attempted to 'remove' the old preset (that I had created last year). The old preset (that I had created last year) was showing up in [brackets] in the adobe pdf presets window, which designates the preset as being a default preset. These 5 operators are unable to delete the old preset. The delete button is grayed out.

My 2 questions are this:

1. Why is the preset that I created last year, and that they loaded into InDesign last year show up in the adobe pdf presets window as default [with brackets]?

Because of where it is located, in the computer-wide folder.
(I see another unanswered question here, so let me know if you find the files.)

2. Where on the computer are these adobe pdf preset files located, so I can go into this location and manually remove the unwanted presets.

My very first post gives you the locations of where those files are.

Thanks.

Padawan
posted Hide Post
Yes, you did give me the location. Looking on my macbook pro, they are in those locations, however, on the 5 macs that are having the describe issue, the pdf presets that I am looking for and I can see through InDesign, are not in either of those folders.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
That's part of my 'the unanswered question.'
I know that if ID puts brackets around a font, it means that
the font is not physically on the computer or in a place where ID can see it
and that ID is/was trying to reference it from somewhere. And I wondered if
this might be the same case with those 5 computers and their default presets.

Try searching this location, where CS2 stored the presets:
HD > Library > Application Support > Adobe PDF > Settings
At this point it looks like it becomes troubleshooting.

Padawan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Have you tried resetting ID's defaults (Shift+Opt+Command+launch ID)
to see if the presets reset?

Padawan
posted Hide Post
No, but I will try that.
Thanks,