Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Desktop Publishing    Indesign help needed, Import Multiple page Word Doc?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indesign help needed, Import Multiple page Word Doc?
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Art P.
posted
A friend of mine is self publishing a book (Fiction Novel) she has been writing on and off for about 5 years or so. I have been asking her for a copy the manuscript for over a year and of course now that she is on a deadline for release (Valentines Day) I finally get it.

She needs to submit the book (excluding the cover design) as a finished PDF file which I know InDesign can do. I see via Indesign Help, ID has a Book feature and suggests that you import individual Chapters and then assemble it as a book.

I have been individually coping each Chapter from Word to InDesign, then guessing how many pages I need based on the length of the chapter in Word, and finally manually linking the pages for Text Flow as needed.

I did this for about 10 -14 of the 64 Chapters and figured there has to be a easier way to do this so I would come here and beg for help.

I think I remember Terry doing a demo at the meeting where you can import Text into Indesign and Indesign automatically adjusts for the number of pages needed (she has 334 pages in Word, will be less in Indesign as a finished product).

Anyone know how to do this?

Is there a good website for Tips and Tricks for laying out Books/Novels in Indesign?

She is planning on doing future novels and I escaped designing her cover (thank god) but told her I would convert her Word document to the proper PDF.

PS. While she was writing it, she did her Drop Caps for the Each Chapter in Word (Stylesheet in InDesign would have been better) AND she mixed her indents with tabs and spaces depending on how she felt that day. Needless to say I have a lot of cleaning up to do so if I can automate some of this labor it would be a timesaver and a lifesaver.

- - - -
Macs make life simple... (Sometimes!)

Posts: 641 | Location: Detroit, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ambassador
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
1. Create a single page InDesign document to represent the size of the page of the book

2. Choose Place from the File menu and choose your Word file.

3. Hold down the Shift Key and click on the first page. InDesign will autoflow the rest of the text and create the necessary pages.

From there you can either keep it as one large document or break it up into smaller documents. The other option would be to break up the Word document first into the individual chapters/books/sections and then place each one into a new InDesign document. After that you would use the Book feature to assemble them together as one book document for the purposes of printing, auto page numbering and PDFing.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://bestappsite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6088 | Location: Southfield MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Terry,

is there any real advantage to having the multiple InDesign documents and then pulling them together with the book feature? I'm still learning ID and I'm trying to understand why I would want to do that.

I can see if the Word file were already a bunch of separate files why I might just import them separately that way, but is there any reason to do it if the Word file is in one large file already?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5420 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ambassador
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
The typical reason for multiple ID documents for a large project such as a book is so that the documents can be handed off to others for review, editing, writing, etc.
Also this tradition comes more from "play it safe" mentality. If the document becomes corrupted you haven't lost everything. Just that one chapter. Lastly, although InDesign can handle documents up to 9,999 pages, my guess is that the larger the document the slower the app is going to feel. I live on the edge, so if it were me and I was the only one working on the project I would probably do 300 pages in one. If it felt slow, I would then break it up maybe by 4ths.

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Beckman:
Terry,

is there any real advantage to having the multiple InDesign documents and then pulling them together with the book feature? I'm still learning ID and I'm trying to understand why I would want to do that.

I can see if the Word file were already a bunch of separate files why I might just import them separately that way, but is there any reason to do it if the Word file is in one large file already?

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://bestappsite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6088 | Location: Southfield MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Art P.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:
1. Create a single page InDesign document to represent the size of the page of the book

2. Choose Place from the File menu and choose your Word file.

3. Hold down the Shift Key and click on the first page. InDesign will autoflow the rest of the text and create the necessary pages.

Thanks, Terry that's what I needed.

- - - -
Macs make life simple... (Sometimes!)

Posts: 641 | Location: Detroit, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post