Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Desktop Publishing    Indesign dropshadow printing problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indesign dropshadow printing problem
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
Have Idesign 5.5 made a drop shadow and sent to my printer. I exported the file as high quality print, X1a and used their export setting.
The printer is seeing a gray box behind the type with the drop shadow. They are using a digital press. I then created outlines on the type it is still there with various exporting tries. The printer flattened it in acrobat and it darkened the blue blend I have in the background.
can some one help? Suggestions on transparency settings or exporting??? Thanks

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
To verify the problem: you created a file in InDesign which included an object/text with a drop shadow/transparency, and exported it to PDF X-1a, and sent the PDF to a commercial printer. You also mentioned that the printer is "seeing" a gray box behind the type with the shadow.

Is the printer just "seeing" the gray box while viewing it in Acrobat? Or, is the gray box actually "printing".

If the gray box just appears while viewing it in Acrobat and NOT actually printing, it is most likely a visual anomaly. The anomaly is caused by a resolution conflict in Acrobat being able to render the file correctly at certain view sizes (based on the screen resolution of the monitor and the resolution of the file). The anomaly can be verified by changing the view/zoom percentage while in Acrobat. While viewing it in Acrobat, if you increase or decrease the viewing size and the box disappears, then it's just an anomaly - and the box won't actually print.

Can you "see" the box in Acrobat on your computer?

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
the printer sees it on the screen and it prints with the gray box.
I dont see it on my computer. I have acrobat pro 10.1.8 the printer has I think version 7. Is that why she can see it but I can't. I do have on overprint preview - always in preferences. In out put preview in acrobat I have simulate black ink and simulate overprinting checked. Is there any other setting that I need to have on to see this gray box? SO THAT IS MY NEW QUESTION.

Gray Box Fixed:
Crazy I was reading that spot colors can mess up processing while making a pdf. well my file had a color that i forgot to turn into CYMK but I didnt use that color in the document. I got rid of the spot color in the document color list and remade the pdf and the gray box was NOT there. Yaaa so that was the fix. Check the separations window and make sure there are no spot colors even if they arent being used in the file.

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you found a solution to the problem. I'm not sure why you can't see the gray box even though you printer can (even after reading the articles). It could be attributed to different versions of ID or Acrobat, or a bunch of other combined variables.

In addition to some of the tips you've mentioned, try to get in the habit of Preflighting your file in InDesign before exporting to PDF or any other format. Potential problems will generally show up in the Preflight. Thanks for including the links.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post