Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Desktop Publishing    PDF Huge for placemnt in book what to do?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PDF Huge for placemnt in book what to do?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I recieved a 150MB ad for a book Im making.
Can I open it in photoshop, place in Indesign then make a pdf from there to get file size smaller?
Or is there a better way?

Thanks
Kelly

Posts: 358 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
The quickest, easiest and probably the best way to reduce the file size of the PDF is to utilize Acrobat Professional, if you have it. Open the PDF in Acrobat Professional, go to Advanced...PDF Optimizer. In the dialog that opens you can reduce the resolution and compression scheme of the images, manage embedded fonts, etc.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Ok i havent done this before. tell me if this is ok. I took the setting for X-1a pdf (which is what I use to send to printers) and inputted those values and then resaved the ad. It now is 1.1 MB. Much better. This will print ok right?
Again thanks for the help

Posts: 358 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I actually haven't needed to take this approach often, and it's been awhile since doing so. I'm assuming that you are going to use the converted PDF for commercial printing. If so, the settings for X-1a should be fine. You may want to double-check a few things in the newly saved PDF. Things like verifying that fonts are embedded (or supply the needed fonts), check color separations to make sure that you only have CMYK and not any additional plates, etc. Depending on what version of Acrobat Professional you have, you can find these under the Advanced... menu item. You could also PreFlight the file while in Acrobat, or in InDesign after you place the PDF.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
thanks so much. Ill do that.