Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Desktop Publishing    ePub format question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ePub format question
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Am investigating ePub.
Looking at info on the Pages export. Can't find a software update for Pages 09 that exports to epub format, but there are some limitations. (Word processing files only. No page layout files).
My version of Pages 09 doesn't show the ePub export, but still studying it.
Apple page here (just came out Aug. 26)
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4168

TERRY - When you showed your sample book published for the iPad, it probably was exported from InDesign. IndCS4 has the export, but curious whether lots of graphics cause a problem.

Happy for any comments and/or experience. Heading into writing a book that hopefully would work, but it will be heavily populated with various graphics. Will be done in IndCS4.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo:

All you need to do is a software update to go from version 4.0.3 to version 4.0.4 and Export To ePub will be there. I just did it on mine and it really is there, see below.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brian Stone,

Posts: 1657 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brian. I was confused by this page on Apple's site which mentions iWork apps 9.0.1, not higher versions. I have 4.0.3 already, so didn't download it. We'll see how it goes.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#Pages%204.0.4

I did a Google search for "Pages 4.0.4" and eventually found it. - Had read about it, and spent quality time yesterday hunting, with no success.

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Well, the Apple page linked above is NOT the 4.0.4 update. Believe it or not, Apple's site links just would not find it. - Info, yes, but no download. Had to go to Versiontracker to get a correct link.

For those who need it,
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1097

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Brian - Thanks so, so much for all your advice. I emailed an explanation to you. The short story: had to completely reinstall, after talking on the phone with an Apple support person.

All is finally working, update complete.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested, both Brian and the Apple rep recommended the system "Software update" over downloading the update. Apparently when I deleted the older version of iWork after migrating to the new computer last fall, then installing v.09, there was something left over in the system that wasn't removed from the old v. that may have caused the problem.
A complete uninstall involves more than just trashing the application.

Too long a story to tell here, but mentioning it in case someone else encounters the issue of an update not "working."