Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Desktop Publishing    Fonts and gradients
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fonts and gradients
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I'm not the familiar with illustrator so I have 2 questions.

Q #1. I opened the file and it said "font not found on system, missing font has been substituted.
It looks ok on the file.(similar but not exact. I will be having the client sign off on it knowing of the difference). will the font print ok?

Q#2. they have a hight light that is a circle and fades to see through. When I change the file from RGB to CYMK the circles look light gray throughout the whole circle. How do I fix it. I'm in CS4.

thanks for any help.

I might have posted this 2 times I attached a picture but didn't see my question appear on the site.
Sorry if it shows up 2 times.

Posts: 358 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
this is the bad circles

Bad circles & More

Posts: 358 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
A #1 - To avoid font issues with the printer (assuming your client signs off on your font substitution), do not supply the print file to the printer with fonts, but convert them all to outlines instead by "Flattening Transparency". First, make a duplicate file via Save As, so that you don't overwrite the original file which includes the fonts (for future editing). In the duplicate file, select all of the text, go to the menu Object/Flatten Transparency... In the dialog box, match the settings per the attached screen shot. My screen shot may look a little different than yours since I'm using CS3. Save the duplicate file once finished, and supply it to the printer. I can explain the reasons for doing this if you want.

A #2 - I'd need a little more info before I could supply definitive info on the color circle. Is the photo placed into Illustrator? Is it in CMYK color mode? Is the circle created in Illustrator? Is your Illustrator document in CMYK color mode, and at least 300 dpi (high resolution)?

Flatten Transparency

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
here is a link to the file that may help to answer your questions about the circles etc.
https://files.me.com/kellygraphicsllc/f1l0ug

Also I usually create all outlines of text before sending to printer and would like to know the reason for flatting transparency if you have the time.

thanks for helping me.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
1. If the client sent this file as an Illustrator file,
they can also save the file as a PDF.
Illustrator can open and edit a PDF directly.
Then you would have no font problem, as the original
font would be embedded in the PDF.

2. This highlight could be a circle with a radial "Fade to White 1"
gradient applied to it, stacked behind the black text.

Posts: 1624 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poobelly:

Also I usually create all outlines of text before sending to printer and would like to know the reason for flatting transparency if you have the time.

thanks for helping me.

Yes, the solution is normally to simply Convert Fonts to Outlines in most programs with files intended for print. However, Illustrator has an odd tendency with certain fonts by simply converting to outlines/paths. What may occur at times, is that certain characters/letters will appear fatter or thicker by doing so (specifically, the lower case L). By using the method I mentioned, Flatten Transparency, that problem doesn't occur. Additionally, using Flatten Transparency can resolve some other potential issues. Again, I only have CS3, and perhaps this issue has been addressed in later versions of Illustrator.

I have a few things to be aware of, regarding Chita's answer to your first question. Yes, you can certainly edit a PDF (created by your client), in Illustrator, and it will embed the fonts. But, you are dependent on the PDF that is supplied by your client as to how the PDF is Distilled. If they distill it incorrectly, it can cause other issues and problems that aren't font related. In addition, the flow of text is also restructured (at least in CS3) - ex: full paragraphs or lines of text may be segmented, making it a little more difficult to edit. In your instance, I would personally prefer working in the original program that the file was created in, Illustrator, as opposed to working with the client supplied PDF in Acrobat (my preference - more control).

Lastly, I attempted to open the file from the link you supplied but was unable to do so, since you have CS4 and I only have CS3. If you can provide an answers to the questions I asked earlier, I may be able to provide an answer and solution.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Is the photo placed into Illustrator?
yes & the file is embedded.

Is it in CMYK color mode?
the Ill. file is in RGB mode.

Is the circle created in Illustrator?
Yes

Is your Illustrator document in CMYK color mode,
No it came as RGB I have the circle problem when i set the mode to CYMK

and at least 300 dpi (high resolution)?
Dont even know where to check.
I usually design myself and work in InDesign. Photos in Photoshop and vector in Ill. This designing in ill. throws me for a loop.
and the photos dpi?
when I check link info on the photo it tells me nothing but scale. I don't know how to find the dpi of a photo in Ill. if there is a way I'd like to know.

where does it show dpi of a ill. document.

here is the circle info as an attachment i hope it works.

circle info

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Also I don't use pdfs for anything but proofing unless i absolutely have to.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Mike,

1. I don't recall mentioning Acrobat at all.
PDF is a native format to Illustrator. PDF files can be edited
directly from within Illustrator as if created in Illustrator
and saved out as Illustrator or PDF files, or others.
No need to launch Acrobat at all.

2. Though it may never come into play, a PDF is not at the mercy
of the original Distill settings as a PDF can be redistilled.

3. A "line segment" of text can be entered into with the text tool.
Press return and Illustrator will start a new line. So the text can be
adjusted as needed easily; creating or replacing single characters
or paragraphs as/if needed.

Kelly, Is this similar to what you are trying to do in Illustrator CS4?
See Image:
To add a gradient that fades from white to transparency behind text
Swatches Panel menu > Open Swatch Library > Gradients > Fades
Gradient Panel > Change to Radial >
reverse the location of the Gradient Stops >

HTH

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHunter:
Mike,

1. I don't recall mentioning Acrobat at all.
PDF is a native format to Illustrator. PDF files can be edited
directly from within Illustrator as if created in Illustrator
and saved out as Illustrator or PDF files, or others.
No need to launch Acrobat at all.

2. Though it may never come into play, a PDF is not at the mercy
of the original Distill settings as a PDF can be redistilled.

3. A "line segment" of text can be entered into with the text tool.
Press return and Illustrator will start a new line. So the text can be
adjusted as needed easily; creating or replacing single characters
or paragraphs as/if needed.
HTH

Hi Chita,

Sorry, my mistake(s).

RE item 1. I mistakenly mentioned editing the file in Acrobat, and realize now that you didn't say that (I meant Illustrator). I've opened and edited PDFs in Illustrator, and realize that it is PDF native. However, I think it's still preferable to work on the original Illustrator file since Kelly has it, as other issues are involved other than just the fonts.

RE item 2. I agree, a new PDF can be distilled.

RE item 3. Yes, I agree, text can be entered and edited somewhat easily. But, normally opening the PDF in Illustrator will cause line segments, which take a little time to restructure. Again, I'm still using CS3, so some of these issues may have been resolved with later versions of Illustrator.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to make the circle they already did it. I just need to know how to get rid of the ghosting effect when i convert to CYMK. See my attachment. I also took a snapshot of the appearances pallet for the circle see above.

Circle Close

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the photo placed into Illustrator?
yes & the file is embedded.

Is it in CMYK color mode?
the Ill. file is in RGB mode.

Is the circle created in Illustrator?
Yes

Is your Illustrator document in CMYK color mode,
No it came as RGB I have the circle problem when i set the mode to CYMK

and at least 300 dpi (high resolution)?
Dont even know where to check.
I usually design myself and work in InDesign. Photos in Photoshop and vector in Ill. This designing in ill. throws me for a loop.
and the photos dpi?
when I check link info on the photo it tells me nothing but scale. I don't know how to find the dpi of a photo in Ill. if there is a way I'd like to know.

where does it show dpi of a ill. document.

here is the circle info as an attachment i hope it works.

The photo should be in CMYK color mode, as well as the entire Illustrator document (if you are handing it off for printing). First of all, make a duplicate of the file. On the dupe, convert the file to CMYK (File/Document Color Mode.../Check CMYK). I never work with embedded images in Illustrator, but I suspect that the embedded image will also be converted (perhaps Chita can verify this). Once you've converted the document - select the embedded image. With the image selected, you should see some info about it in the Control Menu/Bar. Info like image name, color mode, and PPI (Pixels Per Inch). The image should be at 300 PPI. If it isn't already, you can't effectively resample it in Illustrator.

Once the document has been converted to CMYK, follow Chita's instructions for creating the gradient circle using CMYK colors. Prior to the final save make sure to Flatten the Transparency of the gradient circle, using the default [High Resolution] setting.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Kelly,
I've actually pried the layers apart.
That is a separate path with it's own
gradient fill back there.

See my image.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
you guys rock.
I covered to cymk and the photo did too and is 300 dpi so I'm set there.

I made new circles like Chita said and when converted look great. see below.

I replaced the type with similar type so that I wont have any issues.
Then when I converted them to outline by "Flattening Transparency" I got hairlines around the bounding type boxes. I don't know why that happened. So I did it my usual way by selecting all type and creating outlines and it worked and looks good.

So thank you all so much for all your help I really appreciate it and I learned a lot.
Kelly

new circle

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then when I converted them to outline by "Flattening Transparency" I got hairlines around the bounding type boxes. I don't know why that happened.

I hope this might explain why the bounding box was visible with a hairline. I've seen the hairline occur when distilling (then viewing) a PDF from the Illustrator file. While viewing the PDF the hairline appears at various zoom levels, but not if you enlarge the view enough. It will not print. It just is a visual anomaly that occurs. I've forgotten the exact reason this happens, but believe it has something to do with the vector bounding box and transparency - and the resolution of your monitor. Though I've never seen it occur in Illustrator, I suspect that it the for the same reasons - since both Illustrator and Acrobat are PDF and vector based. So, I suspect that if you had increased the zoom level in Illustrator, the hairline of the bounding box would have visually disappeared.

Since you decided to simply convert the text to outlines/paths, which is fine - I would still double-check to make sure that none of the lower case "Ls" and similar characters haven't thickened up. You can check by increasing the zoom level while in Illustrator.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I have had the hairline happen before from Indesign and making a pdf and I know to zoom in and it disappears. But when i zoomed in in illustrator they were still there (so i worried) and did it my usual way covert outlines and the headline wasn't there.
If I zoom in in Illustrator and still see it do you think it will print?
My L's and rest all look good.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have had the hairline happen before from Indesign and making a pdf and I know to zoom in and it disappears. But when i zoomed in in illustrator they were still there (so i worried) and did it my usual way covert outlines and the headline wasn't there.
If I zoom in in Illustrator and still see it do you think it will print?
My L's and rest all look good.

I've never seen it in Illustrator. It's possible that it may be occurring for other reasons. In this instance, since converting to outlines didn't produce fattened characters, I'd go with that. However, since your gradient circle contains transparency, you really should Flatten Transparency on it, and any other objects that contain transparency.