Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Desktop Publishing    PDF to editable .doc file
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PDF to editable .doc file
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I am making a contract for someone and I made a pdf then in acrobat pro made it an extended pdf and saved as enabled adding text pdf. Well I guess once it is saved (they are using the basic reader)they cant make any corrections and have to retype it all again for the next month. So he wants it as a .doc file.

what the best way to take a PDF to editable .doc file. when I make a pdf from Indesign5 then in acrobat pro make it a .doc file it is fine but it is all one art piece so that doesnt work. When I save it as a .doc file it comes in all messed up and boxes around the art etc.

So is there a free program to do this? if so what.
Or should I buy and older version of microsoft word. and if so what version Im running 10.6.8 and may upgrade soon.

thanks for any help Kelly

Posts: 358 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Being 'Enabled' allows them to make
comments and markups, not edit the text.

Acrobat X allows you to "Save As" to Microsoft Word > Word Document.

Or...
Do you have Pages?
Less expensive than purchasing Microsoft suite of apps.
You can Export files created in Pages as .doc files,
that can be opened in Word.

The only other suggestion is to have them
purchase Acrobat X which really is a great option.

Posts: 1624 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I only wanted to point out one thing in regards to creating a PDF, then saving or exporting to Word or to Pages, for someone else to utilize. Ideally, make sure the other person or user has the same fonts that you embed in the PDF file. If they don't have the same fonts, then font substitution will occur. Font substitution can cause reflow of text, and be particularly noticeable if any tables exist.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
when I export as a .doc file from the pdf in acrobat art etc. goes all screwy.

I rebuilt in pages. but dont like to have to redo things. Thought there may have been an easier way.

Is pages a cheep version of Indesign? Is it more for web files & ebooks or print? Im a little confused on what its purpose is. If someone can tell me thanks.

Posts: 358 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
I doubt if any PDF to Word conversion
in Acrobat or any other app that converts
PDFs to Word files, will give you an exact
conversion.

The programs really weren't meant to work
that way. PDF was meant to be the end
destination of the file. Going from PDF to Word
is always going to be a hot mess if you have
more than straight text.

Pages is a Mac-based app for creating text files,
that happens to export in the Word .doc format.
Pages, Numbers, Keynote are Macs response
to Word, Excel, Powerpoint.

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Pages is Apple's equivalent to Microsoft Word, and while both can do some page layout work like InDesign, they are word processors. They can handle graphics, but that's not what they were designed to do.
Text Edit can export to .doc format, but I'm not sure how it will look in Word. Haven't played with it. As Mike said, font substitution can play hell with a form letter, so whatever you use to create it (Pages, my standard word processor, is cheap and does a great job), be sure that the person on the other end has the same font.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Maybe the easiest, best and least expensive solution for both you and the person you are creating the document for, is to purchase Pages. Assuming that both of you are on Mac, and ideally buy the same version of Pages, you can swap files with no problems. Both of you should ideally use the same fonts in your documents. Pages, as a stand-alone app, is only $19.99 in the Apple Store. More about Pages, and iWork, here.

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
For folks who do contracted work for PC people, maybe an investment in MS Word (?or Office) for Mac would make some sense, assuming the files are interchangeable between OS systems. I think there's a "home" edition that's not too expensive.

Tedious for this stage in the project, but try copying from the InDesign file to Word.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Pages seems to me to also have some of the attributes of the older desktop-publishing programs. I think it was called PageMaker.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Not really. I think I started working with PageMaker at around version 2, and Pages is still kludgier to work with when placing graphics. No matter how Pages presents itself, it's still a word processor with graphic capabilities, not page layout software.
quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
Pages seems to me to also have some of the attributes of the older desktop-publishing programs. I think it was called PageMaker.

—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
There is a free converter called convert.files.com is works pretty good. Still need to tweak it but it's not bad for free. I just converted a 70 page PDF with pictures and text. Is there anything better or a better way?

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends what you are converting from and to. The most flexibility and control can be achieved using Acrobat Professional, which includes Distiller. It allows the ability to create PDFs for high resolution print as well as very small PDF files for web - and everything in between.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this is a helpful contribution here, but some observations:
1. Pages will export to a Word file format, but if you don't have the MS Word application, I don't know how you would test the results. You can re-open the Word file in Pages, but you're back where you started.

2. I've opened emailed Word files occasionally from Pages. It more or less works for the text, but usually requires some re-formatting if that's important. As I recall, the import also dumps some graphic elements (tables, special frames, etc.)

Guess I would still recommend getting the Mac MS Word application if clients require that format. I don't really see any other solutions in this discussion, if a pdf file doesn't allow the extent of modifications the client needs.

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
PS. Just looked at http://convertfiles.com/ recommended by artphanto. Looks intriguing and worth a try.

Still wondering how one would test results without the Word app, however.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by artphanto:
There is a free converter called convert.files.com is works pretty good. Still need to tweak it but it's not bad for free. I just converted a 70 page PDF with pictures and text. Is there anything better or a better way?

No, there isn't.
The results from any converter will be similar.
You will NEVER get an exact match.

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Although this convertor does work, (if I need the images and layout to be similar) Is there a way to convert only the text into a word or .txt file? I don't need the images, just the text. I read somewhere about selecting the text and export to .RTF, but each of my text boxes in this document are not linked, so do I literally have to go to each text box and convert it? Or is there an easier way to export my text (in all 30 pages) to a word or text doc?
Natalie

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Try using the converter at http://zamzar.com and see if it works better for you. I've used it on a number of odd files over the last few years. Just tested it with a commercial PDF with embedded graphics that I had it convert to Word format. It did a remarkably good job with the exception of a couple of fonts that were used in the creation that are not in my system.

Zamzar is free (with limits), and they won't bug you for a full, paid account.

—P M Evans

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by artphanto:
Although this convertor does work, (if I need the images and layout to be similar) Is there a way to convert only the text into a word or .txt file? I don't need the images, just the text. I read somewhere about selecting the text and export to .RTF, but each of my text boxes in this document are not linked, so do I literally have to go to each text box and convert it? Or is there an easier way to export my text (in all 30 pages) to a word or text doc?
Natalie

If you want to export to text ONLY, Acrobat Professional has a variety of options (even if your text boxes aren't linked). I only have an older version of Acrobat Pro from CS3 - so newer versions should work just as well (or better). Example - I compiled and designed a personal cookbook in InDesign. The book is over 500 pages, and includes multiple chapters and Tables of Contents. To share the book with family and friends, I created a PDF of it in Acrobat Pro.

As a test, to see if it would accomplish what you need, I opened the PDF in Acrobat Pro. There are various Export options for text, and I obtained slightly different results with each - but they all worked.

Word Document
Rich Text Format
Text (Accessible)
Text (Plain)

Assuming that you have Acrobat Professional, you may want to experiment with each of these to see how it accomplishes what you need. Note that both the Word Document and Rich Text Format have an option to NOT include images in the export. When the export dialog box opens, click the "Setting..." button, then uncheck "include images" in the next box that opens.

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Thank you all- Smile

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Just some confirmation of the pdf-export-to-Word issues:
I have long subscribed to a graphic design firm's enewsletter / blog by Karen Saunders, http://www.macgraphics.net/blog/.
CURRENT TOPIC: Guidelines for a Properly Formatted Manuscript (a lengthy and worthwhile list for those submitting a ms for design & layout)

ONE QUOTE: "Do NOT give us a PDF document of your manuscript, because we will have to convert it back into a MS Word document, and in doing so, it will lose formatting and introduce new errors. The conversion process is not precise and technical errors are common."

The complete article here:
http://www.macgraphics.net/blo...andor-book-designer/