Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Desktop Publishing    Client wants original Indesign files what do I charge?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Client wants original Indesign files what do I charge?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
Client wants original Indesign files so what do I charge? Is there a standard of 100% or 50% of the total cost of the job.
I have on my PO that I am the owner of all orginial files. This follows the copy write laws as far as I know.
I believe I have to give up (put in writing) all the copy write laws to the files if she decides to buy them from me.

Any sugestions for price or info is appreciated.

Kelly

Posts: 357 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Typically when you produced files for a customer, once they pay for work provided, it belongs to them. The point behind saying you owned the original work was to insure repeat business. Once a client asks for the "original artwork" (ie: PageMaker, InDesign or QuarkXPress files) you can rest assured they are going somewhere else with their business.

When I was in the Typesetting/Printing business, we would produce/update the first 12 pages of each phone book for 5 states. We did this for over 20 years for Michigan Bell/AmeriTech/SBC Global/AT&T. One day they decided to bring this work in-house and allowed us 6 months to finish the contract and supply them with all files. This meant keylines, film and digital media. We provided them with everything they requested and billed them for shipping. That was all we could do. Our invoices stated that we "owned" all work provided but only in a "caretaker" role. Our lawyer explained that once we completed the job and were fully paid, it legally was the customers.

You should probably charge the customer for the time it takes to gather their files and burn to discs plus shipping. After that, wish them well and let them know you are available to provide the same type of service in the future.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2101 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
If a client requests the live files from us, we give them to them. We also request live files from our clients when they want to run an ad that was built for them elsewhere and ran in another publication. We don't charge for the files or pay for the requested files. These are advertisers that are generally repeat customers, or new customers. We want them coming back to run more ads in our papers and publications.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input. I know this lady is going else where which is fine with me. She was very difficult and very unorganized with many corrections that were hard to follow, with no page numbers which made for many emails back and forth.
I was doing this for a friends friend and no contract was made and she hasnt paid me. So I will do as you suggested figure time to get files to her and call it done. And if she doesnt pay me I will take the time to take her to court. I dont work for free.

I have got conflicting info on if the files are the designers or clients. I Guess Ill keep checking and I will include more infor about that in my agreement. I think the file should be the deigners. And if they want to buy them then we should sell them. Sounds like a lawyer is needed. Frown

Posts: 357 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Don't send the original files until you have been paid for the work already produced. Going to court later on is always a losing situation. Tell your customer you will happily supply all files once the check clears Wink

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2101 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I suggest going to a branch of the bank upon which the check is drawn and getting cash. Then there is no question of a stop-order having been placed on the check, which can then bounce back.

Posts: 2263 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Donna:

I tried that once to cover myself and was told by the bank that they ONLY Cash Checks for Account Holders. So good luck with that plan.

I agree with Dave, but the person should Get Nothing until you get CASH. DON'T screw with a check.

Good Luck Poobelly.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
If you go into a bank with a check made out to you drawn on an account at that bank, they should be able to cash it for you, assuming you can provide identification. It is a check from one of their customers drawn on an account of theirs. Do you know what back this person uses? Have they ever paid you before? If it seems to be a problem, simply go to that back and open an account for yourself with some minimal amount. The crux of the situation for the bank is whether or not their customer has sufficient funds in the account for them to honor the check. Cash is best before you turn over the files.

Posts: 2263 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
Picture of joecoots
posted Hide Post
According to what you said there was no contract and no payment made, then I wouldnt give her a file until she paid in full. Without payment for your services, those files belong to you not her. If you hand them over you have ZERO leverage to get paid. Also from what you said she is not going to be back so then there is nothing but the files to give her a reason to pay you. My guess is she is trying to get something for nothing here and dont let her attitude force you into getting taken advantage of. BTW the friend of that friend did you no favor either. Id be wary of any future business from them as well.

Posts: 56 | Location: St Clair Shores, MI, USA | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
It's been my understanding that the creator of artwork (illustration, logo, unique graphic, etc.) is legally the owner. There are always differences of opinion between the artist and the client, and many clients have taken advantage of the discrepancies to retain an original piece of art. It happened quite a bit years ago in the Detroit area. Ideally, it always helps to have a contract prior to working on a large job. That way both parties understand and agree to terms prior to the start. I say ideally because that is very difficult to do on a regular basis, especially for smaller projects. I remember a good source of business ethics, practices and pricing for artists. The Graphic Artists' Guild , New York. Their handbook has a lot of useful information. The remainder of their site has additional resources and information.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post