Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Desktop Publishing    Print to pdf question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Print to pdf question
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
When "print to pdf" is selected, is there a way to know the default resolution quality of the pdf?

Does it default to Acrobat or Distiller settings if you have those apps installed?

Is it a basic level of screen or print quality?- small file size, standard, or??

I tried a file and looked at "Properties" in Acrobat, but couldn't find any info on the resolution of that file.

I notice that the Print to PDF menu includes "Edit PDF Menu" and the option to add something.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I'll be much help, as you probably are using a newer OS than I am. What program are you in, when attempting the Print to PDF? If you are in a web browser, Mail, or similar program, I'd suspect that it would be screen resolution. Other programs, like InDesign, have PDF Export Presets (once Exported to PDF, you'd be able to print higher resolution).

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, it will default to the present Distiller settings.

FYI
Depending on what OS you are in:
Print to Adobe PDF will be replaced with an option
now in the menu under the "PDF" button
in the lower portion of the Print screen.
Now reading "Save as Adobe PDF."
(Same principle as Printer > Adobe PDF)

I think it was changed with SL OS.

If there is an exclamation mark in
Printer > Adobe PDF xx
This means that "that" option is no longer working
and you can effectively remove it from the "Printer" list.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CHunter,

Posts: 1614 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Mike - I'm familiar with InD settings & Distiller.

- Just wondering when printing from other apps.

Chita - Very helpful.
Currently on OS 10.6.2, but Acrobat 8.2.2 (not v.9)
- Attaching a screen shot of "Print" dialog options on my machine. (I added Distiller.)
- Can also select "Adobe PDF 8" as the "Printer."

This question has come up from discussion in a Forum for Finale, the music notation program. Although it can export an eps file for layout, sometimes the export produces a flawed result, so we're discussing options. I "Print" to "Save as PostScript" then convert that file with Distiller to ensure a press quality resolution.

HOWEVER, some folks simply recommend "Save as PDF." I'm just not sure that would default to a high quality file.

Also some think that a vector file is a vector file is a vector file. However since Acrobat/Distiller offer the various options, there must definitely be differences in resolution.
?????

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Chita - The Acrobat 9 support file states "The Adobe PDF Printer is not available or is unusable in Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6)."

I have no trouble whatsoever with the PDF Printer for Acrobat 8.2.2 in 10.6.2. Produces a pdf file OK.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:

This question has come up from discussion in a Forum for Finale, the music notation program. Although it can export an eps file for layout, sometimes the export produces a flawed result, so we're discussing options. I "Print" to "Save as PostScript" then convert that file with Distiller to ensure a press quality resolution.

HOWEVER, some folks simply recommend "Save as PDF." I'm just not sure that would default to a high quality file.

Also some think that a vector file is a vector file is a vector file. However since Acrobat/Distiller offer the various options, there must definitely be differences in resolution.
?????

"Save as Postscript", and create the PDF with Distiller is what I'd recommend. You would then be sure of Press Quality Resolution.

"Save as PDF" might generate a low res./screen resolution if it had low res. images in it. I'm not familiar with Finale. If however, Finale is entirely vector-based, then there would only be vector art and/or in it. Vectors are resolution independent, whether it may art or text converted to outlines/paths. So, yes a vector is a vector, and will always print crisp, regardless of size. Only images/photos are resolution dependent in any PDF settings you may use to create the PDF.

Here's an example, albeit with Illustrator. I create a page in Illustrator. It contains vector artwork, fonts, some fonts converted to outlines/paths - and it contains 2 photo images that are placed, one at 72ppi and one at 300ppi. I save the file as an Illustrator EPS. In Acrobat Distiller, if I create a PDF using a "Press Quality setting" everything will look great and print great, except the 72ppi photo image will suffer in quality. If I create another PDF using the same EPS file, but with a "Screen Resolution or Smallest File Size Setting", the following with be generated. All vector art, all fonts (if they were embedded), all fonts converted to outlines/paths will still look and print crisp because they are resolution independent. Both images however, since they are resolution dependent, would be at 72ppi. They might look OK on screen, but would not print well.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo:

1. That is correct. The Adobe PDF Printer, as I've mentioned above,
does not work with SL and Acrobat 9, and has been replaced
with a new command in the "PDF" button that reads
"Save as Adobe PDF."

2. The Mac OS WILL produce a low res PDF.
Don't know if it's changed, but in the past "Save As PDF"
would not always convert content from a high-end program.

If you have Acrobat you can create a 'watched folder' within Distiller
that will convert the eps to PDF when saved inside the folder.

The differences in the options vary not just in resolution, but
color space, downsampling, flatterning, etc., some of which
may not concern you in the least.

You can read about them just by selecting the options and
going through the sections.

Save as Adobe PDF

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chita & Mike & all for replies.
VERY, VERY helpful.

Chita - Have to "eat my words." I have sometimes printed to the PDF "printer" Acrobat 8 Pro with success. However some attempts last night didn't work.

This whole discussion & concern on my part came about because Finale is the real culprit for exporting (sometimes) flawed eps files. (Some music staff lines show up as dotted lines instead of solid lines, for example. REALLY BAD.)

I think some aspects of Finale are vector based, and some text based. But nothing is pixel-based (ala Photoshop) unless that type of graphic is imported.

Won't bore everyone with more details, but given the need for some workarounds appropriate to hi-res commercial printing, the pdf question came up.

What great, generous pros in this organization!
------
ONE MORE QUESTION: I use Acrobat a lot, though in fairly basic ways. Is there quite a benefit in upgrading to v.9 for OS 10.6.2? It's looking more & more likely.

Not having any problems with Distiller for v.8.2.2

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:

This whole discussion & concern on my part came about because Finale is the real culprit for exporting (sometimes) flawed eps files. (Some music staff lines show up as dotted lines instead of solid lines, for example. REALLY BAD.)

I think some aspects of Finale are vector based, and some text based. But nothing is pixel-based (ala Photoshop) unless that type of graphic is imported.

------
ONE MORE QUESTION: I use Acrobat a lot, though in fairly basic ways. Is there quite a benefit in upgrading to v.9 for OS 10.6.2? It's looking more & more likely.

Not having any problems with Distiller for v.8.2.2

A suggested work-around for the flawed Finale EPS file. Though it's another step, it will help you insure that it prints like intended. Since Finale files are made up of vector art and fonts, export to EPS as you have been. Then open the file in Illustrator to fix any flawed areas. Any vector anomalies can be easily fixed, and any fonts in the file shouldn't be an issue as long as they are active on your system at the time. When finished with repairing the flaws, I'd also recommend converting any fonts in the file to outlines/paths. That will avoid potential font conflicts, substitutions or problems for the printer. Then resave the file as an Illustrator EPS. You can then either Distill it in Acrobat, or do a Save As PDF from within Illustrator while being able to select Preset Settings for the PDF creation. Note, I'm using Illustrator CS3.

BTW. I also use Acrobat 8.2.2. For what it's worth, I don't know how they could improve it much more that it is (but, they always find a way to add more features).

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. Actually "saving to a ps file" and converting to pdf with Distiller works fine. The ps files are not flawed - only the eps exported directly from Finale.

It's then possible to export to eps from Acrobat.

"Ring around the Rosy."

I've submitted this issue to Finale Tech Support. It's been known since 2007, and there have been at least 2 new major upgrades since then with no fix. - Made the case as strongly as I could to them. We'll see what happens.