Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Desktop Publishing    Adobe moving to cloud exclusively
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adobe moving to cloud exclusively
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Article in Wall Street Journal this morning (May 7) discusses Adobe's decision to go "cloud" entirely. (Article available only to subscribers of print or web site)

Short quote:
"Adobe doesn't plan future packaged versions beyond Creative Suite 6.0"
"...will no longer offer new versions ...at retailers...or allow people to download digital copies to their computers."

Adobe page: http://www.adobe.com/cc/letter.html

======
- Yes, the "future" is coming. BUT what if there's a power outage that prevents one from using the web, if it's not possible to download a copy of applications?

Just my opinion, but I wonder if large corporations get lost in their own world (which probably includes generators or other energy backups) and loses sight of those outside of the professional design world that use and appreciate their products "occasionally."

EVERYONE will be required to pay a monthly subscription price (even if it's for an app used perhaps 2, 3, maybe 4 months out of a year. (Individual apps available for $20/month)

?POSSIBLE WORKAROUND: "Acrobat ... will still be available outside the Creative Cloud as an individual licensed product." Perhaps commercial printers will be satisfied with a press-quality pdf. (I work with a very large commercial printer out-of-state for my published music scores, on average one or 2 months of most years. They love InDesign, which I use for layout, covers, title page, etc., after doing the notation work in Finale. But what happens next?)

Terry will probably address this question at a meeting soon. I regret the conflicts (and in May, an out-of-town trip) that have kept me away so much. But hoping for his official explanation, in case the WS Journal missed something.

( - One of my reasons for keeping old computers and OS going!)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo:

The programs will all be downloaded to the users computer be it a Mac or PC. They will be exactly as before. They Do Not run in a browser.

The WSJ should read Scott Kelby's blog posted today here. It furnishes the Correct Information.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Just as I had feared Frown Now we have to rent the software! After years of being able to own my own license, now the only way to continue to use it will be to "rent" it monthly (and of course over time, who makes out like a bandit ADOBE), not us the people that has made it what it is today! Yes, you want the latest upgrade? Join the subscription! EVEN if I don't want any upgrades, the CS6 I currently own will probably be outdated in a few weeks (i'm sure), I will have no choice but to upgrade! I have to rent the software, that I use for my lively hood? Hmmmm, let's see, food or software?

Posts: 461 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Natalie:

It may be "outdated" (?) but it will still continue to work. You will not be able to do less than you have done last week.

I am not a fan of the rental program but Adobe got the bee in their bonnet and I guess we will need to live with it.

I would rather pay the $600 or so dollars to Upgrade to Production Premium CS7 but I guess that is not going to happen. I really wish the had and option to pick 2 or 3 titles for less than the $50/month rental because I only use Photoshop and Premiere all of the other stuff to me is excess baggage. And the only other person I collaborate with is my wife Char who just happens to lives in the same house. It seems Adobe has forgotten about the individuals that use their products.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Brian,
That is what's upsetting, they didn't give us any options. Basically, it's take it or leave it. And by outdated, I mean that it will not be backwards compatible, so if a client has the latest version and their books or brochures (templates) are in Adobe CC, I will have no choice but to upgrade to be able to continue to do freelance work with them. Then it becomes not optional to upgrade but a necessity, in order to be able to "do" the work. This option of CC may be great for the occasional recreational artist, but for creatives that make a living off of it, and the small business that try and stretch their software use, this is a very bad decision! I guess it's time to look again at Corel.

Posts: 461 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
I read Kelby's blog. The bigger story than WSJ is that Adobe will likely have to set straight a lot of misconceptions with a well-written FAQ or similar.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Somewhat more info than Kelby's, with interesting input following the blog by concerned Adobe users.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo...gn=tmo_story_sidebar

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Hi Natalie,

I appreciate your concerns, but I'm confused by your statements. On one hand you say that you don't want to have to upgrade or do so when you're ready, but on the other hand you say that if a client has a later version you'll need to be on that version to work with them (which sounds like you have to stay current anyway)?

First off, Adobe will work hard to make sure that CC apps can always save back to/down to CS6.

Secondly CS6 will be sold indefinitely for those that need it.

Third, all CC members will be able to install older versions of software to maintain compatibility (starting with CS6) going forward.

Creative Cloud is good for many, but not for everyone in every situation. Adobe realizes this. However, it is the direction the company is heading in and I'm sure adjustments will be made along the way as needed. For a business user (someone making their living using the software) there are also tax write off situations that make it (the CC model) even more attractive.

quote:
Originally posted by artphanto:
Brian,
That is what's upsetting, they didn't give us any options. Basically, it's take it or leave it. And by outdated, I mean that it will not be backwards compatible, so if a client has the latest version and their books or brochures (templates) are in Adobe CC, I will have no choice but to upgrade to be able to continue to do freelance work with them. Then it becomes not optional to upgrade but a necessity, in order to be able to "do" the work. This option of CC may be great for the occasional recreational artist, but for creatives that make a living off of it, and the small business that try and stretch their software use, this is a very bad decision! I guess it's time to look again at Corel.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Terry,
Thank you for trying to clarify, but my point is that I would like to be able to choose when to upgrade. This is forced upon us. Giving us no chance to "own" the product anymore. The "rent" scenario in CC is much more expensive. In the end Adobe makes out like a bandit.

It seems to me that you either have to subscribe (for life or until you retire) and stay with Adobe (wow! good deal for Adobe), or stay with CS6 and see how long you can use it before it is incompatible, or leave Adobe and go to another design product like Corel.

As I said, if a client has Adobe Creative Cloud and I need to upgrade, I am "stuck" using CC whether I like it or not from that point forward. Instead of buying the product outright for one price, I am stuck making monthly payments-forever!

Yes, I understand the Tax write off, which is great while I am employed, but there are stretches of time that I may not be working, then does that mean that I am out of luck and can not use the Adobe products (or open up my CC files) if I unsubscribe from CC (due to economic hardship). Financially for me it just does not make sense. I want to decide when to buy my versions and upgrade. As I said, Creative Cloud is great for the person that wants to dabble in Photoshop or the occasional recreational artist to try new software, but to make professional creatives have to commit to Adobe monthly or yearly is ridiculous. So now, just like we have our monthly mortgage, car payments etc. we have to tack on Adobe payments to continue to do our design work? I'm sorry, I don't see the logic here from a consumer standpoint.

Padawan
Picture of joecoots
posted Hide Post
I have to say as a professional Graphic Designer and long time Adobe customer. This doesnt make me happy at all. Artphanto Im totally with you on this. I guess the only choice I have thanks to Adobes decision is stay on CS6 and hope an alternative appears before its too old to work with. Maybe another company will put together a decent alternative or Adobe will reconsider. Otherwise CS6 it is.

Posts: 56 | Location: St Clair Shores, MI, USA | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification, I understand your concerns better now.

quote:
Terry,
Thank you for trying to clarify, but my point is that I would like to be able to choose when to upgrade. This is forced upon us. Giving us no chance to "own" the product anymore. The "rent" scenario in CC is much more expensive. In the end Adobe makes out like a bandit.

It seems to me that you either have to subscribe (for life or until you retire) and stay with Adobe (wow! good deal for Adobe), or stay with CS6 and see how long you can use it before it is incompatible, or leave Adobe and go to another design product like Corel.

As I said, if a client has Adobe Creative Cloud and I need to upgrade, I am "stuck" using CC whether I like it or not from that point forward. Instead of buying the product outright for one price, I am stuck making monthly payments-forever!

Yes, I understand the Tax write off, which is great while I am employed, but there are stretches of time that I may not be working, then does that mean that I am out of luck and can not use the Adobe products (or open up my CC files) if I unsubscribe from CC (due to economic hardship). Financially for me it just does not make sense. I want to decide when to buy my versions and upgrade. As I said, Creative Cloud is great for the person that wants to dabble in Photoshop or the occasional recreational artist to try new software, but to make professional creatives have to commit to Adobe monthly or yearly is ridiculous. So now, just like we have our monthly mortgage, car payments etc. we have to tack on Adobe payments to continue to do our design work? I'm sorry, I don't see the logic here from a consumer standpoint.

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Here's another way to help control the expense (not pay monthly) and lock in your price:

Go here!

----

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Terry, thank you for that additional information-but $600 per year is still a very steep price to pay!

I used to purchase my software to try and get as many years usage out of it as I could while trying to budget my money. In mostly all of my jobs, I have had no issues with client incompatibility-so I didn't see a need to immediately update my software-until this ultimatum.

I know that is hard for some people to understand if they are comfortable financially. So, I guess for them this really is not an issue.

Schools, Small businesses, students and people that live pay check to pay check are the ones that will suffer. I guess that is not a factor Adobe considered.

Natalie

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Probably best to sit on CS6 for the next couple of years then. If the work comes in that justifies or requires you to use the CC versions then you can just go month-to-month and turn it off when the project is over.

quote:
Terry, thank you for that additional information-but $600 per year is still a very steep price to pay!

I used to purchase my software to try and get as many years usage out of it as I could while trying to budget my money. In mostly all of my jobs, I have had no issues with client incompatibility-so I didn't see a need to immediately update my software-until this ultimatum.

I know that is hard for some people to understand if they are comfortable financially. So, I guess for them this really is not an issue.

Schools, Small businesses, students and people that live pay check to pay check are the ones that will suffer. I guess that is not a factor Adobe considered.

Natalie

----

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
When you look at the list of all the software available to Creative Cloud users it's very impressive.

Photoshop® CS6
Photoshop CS6 Extended
Illustrator® CS6
InDesign® CS6
Acrobat® X Pro
Flash® Professional CS6
Flash Builder® 4.6 Premium Edition
Dreamweaver® CS6
Fireworks® CS6
Adobe Premiere® Pro CS6
After Effects® CS6
Adobe Audition® CS6
SpeedGrade(tm) CS6
Prelude(tm) CS6
Encore CS6
Bridge CS6
Media Encoder CS6

Download what you need, type in the code, and get to work. I see comments that this is great for those who have occasional projects and don't need the expense of buying new programs all the time. Well I guess I'm different for me or I just don't get it. Can most people just fire up any new program and be productive with it? It takes me quite awhile living with a program and several tutorials before I get up to speed. I don't relish this period either as I am usually not being very productive with projects during it. To me the programs are a tool not an end in themselves. And I don't need the latest and greatest tool all the time. Look what Albrecht Durer did with a pencil!

Since I don't have the time, aptitude, and inclination to pick up and keep up on multiple new programs constantly, the people that do amaze me. How many people are so computer fluent that they see this as a boon or are we hearing right now from people whose eyes are bigger than their stomachs. When you are starting out in your career you'll probably think, yeh, this is the ticket, I have access to any and all things I want and need to create. Well, I hope you are going to enjoy your new unpaid part-time job keeping up with all your new programs and learning curves. I just hope there will be time to actually produce something.

I guess the independent tinkerer who could concentrate on one program on the cheap is being cast outside the mainstream now. But alas, we did have a good run for a while having access to cutting edge technology as mere amateurs on the same footing as pros. It looks like those days are gone. I'll probably be cancelling my subscription to NAPP and Photoshop User magazine as I won't be keeping up with it now. I wonder if Adobe has killed the goose to rent the golden eggs?

Posts: 417 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:
Probably best to sit on CS6 for the next couple of years then. If the work comes in that justifies or requires you to use the CC versions then you can just go month-to-month and turn it off when the project is over.

quote:

Natalie

OK, so I will sit on CS6 for a few years (and in those few years I will have saved a lot of money by NOT subscribing to the CC) then what? I will eventually need to upgrade, so I am still stuck at square one. Adobe did not give us the option of subscription or owning. Then I am stuck renting the software. That is my issue and thousands of other Adobe users. I wish the subscription was available for when I was a student! It would have been perfect-but now-as a professional, it doesn't work for me.

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Some interesting reactions to Adobe cloud exclusively showing both love and hate:

http://www.macintouch.com/read...ndex.html#d09may2013

http://macperformanceguide.com...legal-agreement.html

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
I haven't decided how I feel about it yet. I'm still using CS3 on a 2007 iMac. Not sure what I'll do when I'm ready to upgrade hardware & software.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
FWIW: Here's the link again to macobserver blog comments
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo...gn=tmo_story_sidebar

Some of those commenting point out larger issues, such as the privacy of clients' data, subscription updates possibly running foul of the capabilities of legacy setups in corporate & institutional setups, etc.

[my spin on such problems: If someone uses CC and is contracted to do marketing for a client that needs promo material or media for confidential company communications, they may risk losing their contract because of company fears that the data won't be confidential because of Adobe's "calling in" to verify CC subscriptions. etc.]

Other comments point out that there's more to the story than whether individuals like it or not, can afford it or not.

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Here's an into video for Photoshop CC

http://petapixel.com/2013/05/0...-adobe-photoshop-cc/

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post