Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    what router
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what router
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I have apple everything and need to get a router that I want for all my devices and I am hoping to set up some cameras inside and outside my house. What is a good router for me to do this?
Should I stick with apple and maybe the express?

I can't get any cable or dsl at a my home and am hoping that air advantage will work so I can get a connection that isn't so costly because I use a verizon jetpack and its killing me.

Any help is appreciated
Kelly

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
forgot to say I want everything wireless.

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Kelly,

There are several excellent routers available, but the integration of the Apple environment with the Airport Extreme makes it my choice. Any model which is 5th generation or newer would be excellent. A new-from-apple model is covered under existing AppleCare in most cases. They work with any WAN connectivity delivered via Ethernet. Connection to air advantage should work fine, just set the WAN port to DHCP (automatically get IP from ISP) and you are good to go.

Posts: 1980 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
Factory-refurbished units are also available frequently from Apple.com at decent savings over new. I bought an Airport Extreme a couple of years ago that way. They are covered by Applecare and extensions just like a new unit.

Posts: 1105 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Kelly,

Because of your location and the lack of internet options, a router is not going to solve your problems. A router will allow you to divide up your internet connection between your devices. You still need an internet source for this. Using the Verizon hotspot as a source of internet connection with a wireless router may not work and certainly wouldn't be a cheaper option. I not sure it is even possible to connect the two together.

A wireless router will allow you to have multiple devices connected. You can also connect wireless video cameras to your system for remote access to those locations. Many of these cameras require a feed via the internet to be viewable. That way you could be at work or somewhere else and watch your pets or children at home. Again, this requires a strong internet connection. There is also a system known as a closed circuit system which only allows you access if you are within range of your wireless router. These system used be hardwired but now there are wireless options. (An Airport Express would be a poor choice for a wireless video feed of multiple cameras) How far apart will the cameras be? You have to consider the range of your router when planning this out.

Perhaps Jim Cutler can chime in on how a friend of his has a video system setup for remote viewing. I have been considering a similar system myself.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2119 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps Jim Cutler can chime in on how a friend of his has a video system setup for remote viewing. I have been considering a similar system myself.
1. Multiple Foscam HD Cameras
2. Airport Extreme Routers
3. Multiple Locations
4. Charter Internet (fast)
5. Dynamic DNS

Works in Safari, Firefox, iDevices with appropriate iDevice App. Not currently enabled for recording.

-

Posts: 1980 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post