Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    Who is using my airport express signal?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who is using my airport express signal?
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
posted
I remember reading in Help that I could use Airport Utitity to see who was using and sharing my airport signal from airport Express- but now I cant find that info. Can anyone give me the info on how I might see who is using my airport signal? thanks

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
I have little experience with Airport, but if it is like most WAPs and Routers it should list what connections are active by both IP address and by MAC address. It may also have a log to tell you the history of log-ons.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1416 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Actually, you can't get that info via Airport Utility under Tiger. If you have Leopard and version 5.1, you might (not at a Leopard machine to check, but I know they re-wrote the program). You need the Airport Management Utility to find that information otherwise.

Of course, if you implement a good strong WPA password, no one else should be using your Airport Express.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
It is interesting to note that the Airport Utility help clearly states how to find the DHCP leases. However, the referenced selection on the Advanced:logs and statistics panel does not exist. The data may be abvailable to an SNMP management system.

Jack, will the Airport Management Utility you mention work on a MacBook Pro?

An indirect way is to export the Airport log and search for strings beginning with "Associated with station". The string following is the MAC address for the wireless client. If any of these do not match your systems, you probably forgot to configure WPA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James R. Cutler,

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
It works fine on my MacBook Pro and my Mac Pro. It's a PPC app, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
I tried following the recipes given in the links and got consistent crashing. Can you list the steps you took to install it and what version of the utility you used?

Thanks.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Mine is version 1.0. It was already installed on my Powerbook and was part of the migration when I switched to the MBP. So I never had to do an install on the MBP.

Same with the Mac Pro - it was installed on my G5 before I migrated.

===

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
So there is an "Airport Utility" and an "Airport Management Utility" ???

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1416 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Apple's NEW utility is the AirPort Utility. It first appeared with the NEW AirPort Extreme (802.11n) base stations and that was the ONLY way to get it. Although it came with the NEW AP Extreme unit, it would also manage your older base stations too. Now that utility is built-in to Leopard. To confuse matters even more the New AirPort Extreme shipped with a separate AirPort Disk Utility too (a utility used just to manage an AirPort connected disk). Luckily that functionality was rolled into the the "AirPort Utility" and was removed with the Leopard install.

So if you don't have an AP Extreme NEW base station or Leopard then you probably have the OLDER "AirPort Admin Utility" and AirPort Setup Assistants.

Decoder ring:
Older AirPorts have "AirPort Admin Utility" and "AirPort Setup Assistants"
New AirPort Extreme and Leopard have "AirPort Utility"
The AirPort Utility works with ALL AirPort Base Stations (at least all the current ones and the last generation AirPort Extreme) and the AirPort Admin Utility Does NOT work with the NEW AirPort Extreme Base Stations.

Apple should have keep the name "AirPort Admin Utility" and just gave it a new version number, but what do I know?

See this technote.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
To be clear:

The link I gave leads to two *other* utilities Terry did not mention, the Airport Management Utility and the Airport Client Utility. I have no idea if they work with the new Airport Extremes (but I doubt it).

===

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I didn't mention them because Apple dropped support for them almost as quickly as they came out. However, if you have them and they work for you. Go for it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Beckman:
To be clear:

The link I gave leads to two *other* utilities Terry did not mention, the Airport Management Utility and the Airport Client Utility. I have no idea if they work with the new Airport Extremes (but I doubt it).

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Laura Roth
posted Hide Post
Hi...I had/have something happening with My Aiport Extreme Base Station that seems "odd" to me.

first of all, let me just say it is passowrd protected -- but somehow when my neighbor across the street from my house signs unto the internet--I see under my Airport his "name" appear and sometimes I am "kicked" off the internet completely. I then either have to reboot the laptop (Mac Powerbook G4) or so up and reset the DSL and unplug and re-plog in the Airport. This is really frustrating when I am in the middle of taking an online class.

I recently upgraded from Tiger to Leopard. Any suggestions/ideas on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Laura

Posts: 120 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
More info please:
Although you say it's "password protected" there are two passwords. One for administering the base station itself and one for your actual wireless network!!! If you don't have your wireless network protected, then anyone can get on.

Next, if your wireless network DOES have a password, then it may be time to change it! Make sure you're using WPA as your password security method. It's more secure than WEP.

----

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Laura, what you see under the Airport icon in the menu bar are wireless networks, not computers on your network. At the moment, I can see 2 of my neighbors routers.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3764 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
What sounds like is happening is that you are being kicked off by a stronger signal.

When you see your neighbor's network (as Phyl said, this is what you're seeing, not you neighbor on your network) does it have a lock symbol next to it? Your system may see this signal as stronger and may be trying to connect.

If you look at System Preferences/Network, do you have "Ask to join new networks" checked? If not, do so. This will prevent your system from trying to join every open network it sees.

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of Laura Roth
posted Hide Post
Yeah Phyllis..I know that..is just that I was curious if maybe that was the trouble re: my being kicked off.

Terry...To log into my airport, Andrew Caddick (fellow MAC buddy from Michigan) - I had to give him my password access to it...IF that is what you mean--not sure what you mean about 2 passwords though.

Andrew and I set that up when I first got my Mac.. so that no one could "just access" my wireless Airport network.

Where would I find that- to change the password or set up password for the other thing you mentioned??

Laura

Posts: 120 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Laura Roth
posted Hide Post
Jack--- "What sounds like is happening is that you are being kicked off by a stronger signal.

When you see your neighbor's network (as Phyl said, this is what you're seeing, not you neighbor on your network) does it have a lock symbol next to it? Your system may see this signal as stronger and may be trying to connect.

If you look at System Preferences/Network, do you have "Ask to join new networks" checked? If not, do so. This will prevent your system from trying to join every open network it sees."

No..there is no lil lock next to neighbors link; however THERE is one next to mine...that is what is confusing (and frustrating) me. I even asked fellow MAC member Andrew Caddick about maybe getting an Aiport Express for downstairs area...not sure how to connect that to the Airport Extreme I have upstairs...

My Aiport Extreme is currently connected through my DSL router upstairs.

Would this help or hinder??

Laura

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
The lock symbol means the network is encrypted. So you neighbor has an OPEN network for all the world to use, and you have secured yours. That's all it signifies.

So unless you check that box I mentioned in System Preferences/Networking on your AirPort connection, you may be trying to use your neighbor's network and that's why you become disconnected.

When you set up your Express (should you decide to get one) it will walk you through the setup - just answer that you are adding to an existing network.

Your Extreme connecting to your DSL router is a normal setup and not hindering anything.

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of Laura Roth
posted Hide Post
THANKS Jack-- I did that when I got home- see how that goes Smile.

Thanks to all for your wonderful help (HUGSS)

Laura

Jedi Knight
Picture of Junebug Clark
posted Hide Post
Another great option is to go into the Wireless Options setting and Check -> "Create a Closed Network" You can see the option here in this screen capture.
It simply means your network will not show up on other computers unless they choose to "Join Other Network" and can enter the 1. Network Name 2. Type of Encryption 3. Password

Junebug Clark / Denton, TX
pictures that tell a story

Posts: 330 | Location: Denton, TX- USA | Registered: July 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post