Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    Limited WiFi after latest update (again but different).
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limited WiFi after latest update (again but different).
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
posted
I did the update to 10.4.10 shortly before coming to the meeting this past Sunday. I noticed I could not get on the MacGroup WiFi with much success at all nor some Belkin transmission that I was also picking up. Same with the two signals I was getting at the Cosi restaurant we went to after the meeting. The two at the restaurant both could have been closed and they looked like they were open although I did not use software that would have told me that. Now at home, I can get on to my own WiFi signal from my own encrypted router I was using when I updated. I cannot get onto the TIVO named open signal from someone in my neighborhood that I used to no problem. It seems i can only get on to the WiFi signal i was using when I updated and nothing else.

I'm stumped. I tried deleting the network preferences .plist but that did nothing I'm aware of.

I'm never "lost" cause I always know where "I" am. I just may not know where anything else is or how to get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
posted Hide Post
Update: I'm at a friend's house on his open wifi and all is fine so who knows.

I'm never "lost" cause I always know where "I" am. I just may not know where anything else is or how to get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
The MacGroup wifi was not letting anyone out on Sunday. The Belkin that you saw was, I believe, the Temple's router. The signal was weak because of the density and composition of the walls. I used it briefly to check that it was not my problem (I'm not advocating this to anyone!), but the signal was dropping in and out.

As to the neighbor's TIVO, maybe they secured the signal.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phyllis. It is good to know MacGroup wifi was not working for anyone. Nice to know Belkin was the temple's and I will avoid it in the future. Yes it was weak.

The software iStumbler tells me my neighbor's TIVO is still not encrypted.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
COSI's internet was not available Sunday either.

Posts: 1624 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
So it Begs the question -----

Why was the MacGroup WiFi not working?

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1727 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Either the DSL line was down or the Router was blown. When I went to check on it, it was flashing a red light and none of the normal status lights were on. Rebooting it then caused it to just blink all the lights and make a strange clicking sound.

I will have it checked out before the July meeting.

quote:
Originally posted by Calvin:
So it Begs the question -----

Why was the MacGroup WiFi not working?

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post