Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    airport extreme with 2wire router/modem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

airport extreme with 2wire router/modem
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted
I have a network (wired and wireless) 802.11g set up in my home. I have a 2wire modem/router combination from att dsl. I would like to take advantage of the n speeds available with my new imac. My intel macbook pro can be upgraded to n. Can I do this by purchasing an airport extreme and connecting it to my 2wire? Is the airport extreme just a router or a router/modem combination?
Thanks.
Rhonda

Posts: 280 | Location: West Bloomfield, Mi. | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You would hook the Extreme to your 2wire. The Extreme is not a modem, just a router.

If your only wireless device is the MacBook Pro, you will want to turn off the wireless on the 2wire modem to lessen the interference.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5472 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted Hide Post
My imac is also wireless. Do I also need to turn off the router feature in the 2wire?

Posts: 280 | Location: West Bloomfield, Mi. | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Your setup is similar to the one MacGroup has at the Birmingham Temple.

We have AT&T DSL which comes with a 2Wire DSL Router that is also a 802.11b/g access point.

I plugged in the AirPort Extreme 802.11n base station to it and configured the 2Wire to allow the AirPort to be in the DMZ zone. So therefore the 2Wire's firewall doesn't get in the way. The AirPort has its own firewall.

Then I configured the AirPort with the wireless network "MacGroup". I left the 2wire wireless network on and turned off broadcasting of the name. This way I could have a private network for the presenters if the "MacGroup" network got too bogged down.

In your case you could set up the AirPort as your 802.11n ONLY network and use the 2wire for your 802.11 b/g traffic for any older computers you have. This would prevent the AirPort from stepping down to a slower speed when a slower computer attached. You would need to make both networks different names and setup the AirPort as "BRIDGE" to your 2wire. OR you could simply turn off the wi-fi on the 2wire and just use the AirPort for your wireless needs.

quote:
Originally posted by Rhonda:
My imac is also wireless. Do I also need to turn off the router feature in the 2wire?

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6153 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Is an Airport Extreme necessary with the at&t DSL Wireless Router with DSL Modem? We just signed up & that's what we were given free with the plan. Won't be up until Thursday, so will actually hook it up then.

Hoping to get wireless access from 2 Mac laptops with Airport cards. (No wireless card in my desktop, but will be doing the wired connection from that computer.)

Also: Should we use whatever is on the at&t router CD to set up, or just system setup on the Macs?

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
The 2wire box you got will do all that you need. If you wanted to share a printer or hard drive on your network connected to a central location (not a Mac), then you would want the AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule.

quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:
Is an Airport Extreme necessary with the at&t DSL Wireless Router with DSL Modem? We just signed up & that's what we were given free with the plan. Won't be up until Thursday, so will actually hook it up then.

Hoping to get wireless access from 2 Mac laptops with Airport cards. (No wireless card in my desktop, but will be doing the wired connection from that computer.)

Also: Should we use whatever is on the at&t router CD to set up, or just system setup on the Macs?

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6153 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
You can use an Airport Express also to hook up your printer... and speakers if you want.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Terry White:
The 2wire box you got will do all that you need. If you wanted to share a printer or hard drive on your network connected to a central location (not a Mac), then you would want the AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule.

Jamie

Posts: 554 | Location: West Bloomfield | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry & Jamie. Our printing needs are simple enough that we'll skip the extra component for now.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys, I have Uverse 2wire from ATT and I'm having trouble wirelessly joining my Airport Express to it. It works sometimes and not others. Would getting an Airport Extreme and using it as Terry is describing above resolve this?

"Where's the RAM."

Posts: 173 | Location: Detroit | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
What, exactly, are you trying to do? Are you trying to use the Express to extend the network? If so, there's no guarantee that will work with anything other than another Airport device. The protocol for extending wireless networks is *not* a standard, so there's no way to guarantee interoperability between different manufacturer's devices.

If you hook an Airport Extreme up to your 2Wire and extend from the Extreme, things should work. You should in that case turn off the wireless portion of the 2Wire.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5472 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted Hide Post
Hey Jack! Yes, what I want to do is extend my wireless network. Currently the Airport Express in my living room is wirelessly connected to my 2wire in my studio. They're connected but it seems to work intermittently. Tried lots of things to make it work.

From the above conversation I'm gathering I can, like you're saying, connect an Airport Extreme to my 2wire, turn off the wireless capability of the 2wire, and just rock wirelessly with the Extreme?

I also have an older "spaceship" Extreme in the basement that is wired. I'd like to join that as well.

"Where's the RAM."

Posts: 173 | Location: Detroit | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott:
From the above conversation I'm gathering I can, like you're saying, connect an Airport Extreme to my 2wire, turn off the wireless capability of the 2wire, and just rock wirelessly with the Extreme?

I also have an older "spaceship" Extreme in the basement that is wired. I'd like to join that as well.

Yes, that's exactly what you'd do.

Why would you need to join the older Extreme if it's already connected via wire? Every time you use a extender you reduce the speed of your wireless connection. I'm also unsure if you can have more than one extender in the same network (haven't ever tried it). I'd leave the older unit connected via wire.

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted Hide Post
I think I did it so I can surf downstairs because the signal isn't strong enough (It's been a while). Then I had everything joined together (the Express, the Extreme and the 2wire) to get the most coverage.

I've got an Apple TV down there also, joined via wire.

Maybe I should rethink my network entirely?

"Where's the RAM."

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Just leave the wired stuff if it's working.

===

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:...Should we use whatever is on the at&t router CD to set up, or just system setup on the Macs?
My standard advice is, "Never, never, put software from your ISP on your Mac or PC."

The only router management software I put on my Mac or PC (or iDevice, now) is Apple's Airport Utility. The other vendors have a web interface.

Give me a call if you have any problems.

Additional data: The vendor CDs often change your mail and browser home page settings. Some add other [unwanted/unnecessary] applications.

Posts: 1980 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post