Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    Transfer PC to Mac data through network-
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transfer PC to Mac data through network-
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted
I am trying to copy over 6gb of data to an external drive to transfer between my pc and mac.
For some reason, when I try to copy over any file from my PC, it will not work-I get an error message. I read somewhere that because my external drive is FAT32 it will not let me copy more than 4gb to it. How do I get around this? I tried to connect my PC to my mac mini through the network (I have comcast internet if it helps), but am not completely clear on how to do that (that would have been the best bet). How can I transfer large files from my PC to my mac?

Posts: 461 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
What is the Error Message?

There should not be any problem moving 6Gb worth of files to your Mac. I do this all of the time. I just saved 60Gb of data off of my daughters external drive with no problem what so ever. Did it all in one copy then even made a second copy for insurance sake. Then copied all of the same data to an external drive to send back to her.

The Mac can Read and Write to a Fat 32 Partition all day long. All of our Macs for a long time have been able to read Windows formatted discs, unfortunately Windows is not quite as good and cannot read Mac format without a helper application.

Regarding connecting the PC and Mac via the network. Do you have a router in your home with a multiple computer network? You would need a Router to connect multiple machines inside your home on a network. It cannot be done with just your Comcast modem. Did you not say recently you had a wireless router with the antenna(s) removed to prevent outsiders getting in. If so that would be one way to connect multiple machines to share files back and forth.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Hi Brian thanks for your response,
the message says: "Can not copy fileA: there is not enough free disk space. Delete one or more files to free disk space and then try again." My external has 67 Gb free, how can it tell me there is not enough room to copy a 6 Gb file? I also tried my 8gb jump drive and got the same error message. You mentioned Windows needs a helper app-what kind of app can I use to get around this issue? I haven't had any issues with my mac reading the drive. I have read that I need to format my external drive using NTFS as the file system. A FAT32 drive cannot handle the
transfer of files exceeding 4GBs! So, as a test, I formatting my smaller jump drive to NTFS, then my file copied over to my jump drive, however I had an issue with my mac then not properly recognizing the NTFS drive.

I would love to fix the external issue first, connecting it wireless is a whole other issue that I will look at if I can not fix the external issue (I do have a router). Yes you are correct that my antenna is off, but even with it on, I have not been able to configure the PC properly to network with my other macs.

Posts: 461 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
So you have a *single* file that is 6 GB, is that right? You can't copy a 6 GB file to a FAT 32 partition, as you mentioned. What kind of file is this? Have you tried compressing it into a zip file?

If you have a router, connect both systems up to it, turn on file sharing on one of them, and go to the other and copy the file via the network. It may be easier to turn on file sharing on the Mac and then go to the Windows machine and copy the file from there to the Mac.

As for running wireless without an antenna - this is a very *bad* idea. You will burn out the transmitter in the router at some point. They are not designed to be run without an antenna.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Natalie:

You are saying 6Gb of data, is it one file or multiple files? What type of file is it? What version of Mas OSX and what version of Windows are you using? What is the format of the destination drive? What is the format of your Mac drive?

The helper application I referred to runs on a Windows machine not a Mac. It allows Windows PCs to read Mac format discs and drives. It is called Conversions Plus, from DataViz. Here is a link to it on Amazon.

Ooops Started this post over an hour ago and then forgot to post it.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
I am doing video editing, the file which is 6 gb is a .mov. I tried compressing it but it did not work-I got an error saying the file is too large to be compressed. My mac is not the problem at this point (I have mac os 10.5.8 Mac mini Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz). My PC has Microsoft Windows XP 2002 Intel 4CPU 1700 MHz, 1.69 Ghz, 1gb RAm.

I can't understand why I can not copy large files to my external-that boggles my mind! There has to be a way to do this as Brian pointed out-he was able to save his large files to the external. Am I not doing it properly? I was just dragging the file to the external drive.

My external was formatted on my mac-but I also attempted to format my jump drive on my PC first to see if that made a difference and it did not. I have never run into this issue before (I have been using mac and PCs for about 18 years. Obviously I have not run into this problem before because I have never had to transfer over large files from PC to anywhere else. I am just confused at this point?

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Natalie:

Can you edit the file on the PC? If so why not just divide it into three (slightly overlapping) sections then copy the pieces to your Mac. You could then reassemble the video on your Mac and be done with it.

How did you get the video on the PC in the first place?

There is also the possibility of removing the drive from the PC, putting it into an external FireWire case connect it to your Mac and copy the file directly into your Mac.

If you are unsure about doing this yourself I would be willing to do it for you if you bring the PC (tower only) and your Mac Mini (only) to me. You could wait while it is transferred.

Brian Stone

248-546-9339

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Brian,
Thank you very much for your kind offer-I have a few files that are large like that that I will be working on and transferring, so it would not make sense for me to do it this way (I am hoping there is an easier way). The reason I am using both PC and Mac is because my PC has some Adobe programs that my Mac does not and vice versa, so I would like to use both computers. I am just surprised/shocked that files over 4GB can't be put on external (from the PC).

Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Hi all,
I also have some files to swap from Win to Mac. What exactly are the settings to use when sending files through a routered-network with WinXP and Mac OSX 10.6.3?

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
quote:
What exactly are the settings to use when sending files through a routered-network with WinXP and Mac OSX 10.6.3?

When you say "settings" what are you looking for? And what do you mean by "routered-network?"

If you are saying that your PC and Mac are on two different networks or subnets, you'll have to either open the PC Filesharing ports or Mac Filesharing ports both on both networks. If both computers are on the same network segment, I would say the quickest thing to do is just share a folder on the PC, mount it on the Mac and copy away.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1418 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Padawan
posted Hide Post
There is a product from Paragon software that lets the Mac OS X read & write to a NTFS drive.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Posts: 77 | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
... If both computers are on the same network segment, I would say the quickest thing to do is just share a folder on the PC, mount it on the Mac and copy away.

How do I set up a shared folder on a PC for Mac use?

My "routered-network" is that my network is set up with a router.

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
On the PC:

Right click on the folder and click on Sharing and security. Click the radio button "share this folder", click on the permissions button below to grant whatever access you want the Mac user to have. This should automatically open the firewall for access. I'm looking at a Win2003 virtual machine, XP is fairly similar as I recall, there is a wizard to setup sharing too. When you are done copying files, turn off sharing for security reasons.

On the Mac:

With Snow Leopard you can click on "Go and then network" or connect to server. With the former the name of the PC should show up (it may take a few minutes for the name to "broadcast" on your network) and you can click on the connect as button and enter your name and password that you use on your Windows box. With the latter, enter the IP address of the Windows box prefixed by SMB:// (i.e. smb://192.168.1.51) and you should get the same name and password box.

Posts: 77 | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Thanks, iamanomad!