Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    Disable DHCP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disable DHCP
 Login/Register

Padawan
posted
Hello
Does anyone know how to disable the DHCP protocal on the airport extreme 802.11n? I just need it to do NAT.
Thanks

Once you go Mac... You never go back

Posts: 25 | Location: W. Bloomfield | Registered: May 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
It appears that setting an Airport Extreme in Bridge Mode (no DHCP) requires starting configuration from a fully reset machine. Otherwise, the
Airport Utility -> Internet -> Internet Connection >> Connection Sharing: choice
is grayed out. At least, it is on my Gigabit Airport Extreme.

From Designing Airport Networks

If you don’t want your wireless device to share its IP address, choose “Off (Bridge Mode).”

So, reset the Extreme and use Manual Setup to change Connection Sharing as part of the process.

Dave and Jack will probably add more on this topic.

Posts: 1978 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
No, I want it still to supply NAT and sharing the single ip, but I want to disable the DHCP.

Posts: 25 | Location: W. Bloomfield | Registered: May 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can do what you want. I never found a way to do it.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity...

Why do you want to disable DHCP anyway? I'm thinking you're trying to keep unwanted users from obtaining an IP... correct?

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1418 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Alec,

Although the hardware could do NAT without DHCP, the management interface supplied by the Airport Utility does not allow that configuration. The three choices are

1. Bridged (no NAT, no DHCP)
2. DHCP only (no NAT)
3. NAT and DHCP

Apple does not tell us why they limited the configuration choices, but it may be assumptions (unwarranted or not) about our real needs or may be to limit their support requirements.

You did not tell us why you want DHCP turned off. If it is because you want fixed addresses, you can either manually configure each end system or use DHCP reservations to assign a particular IP address depending on the MAC address. Tell us more about your business purpose in disabling DHCP while retaining NAT.

If the requirement is absolute, a device like the Linksys WRT54GL has a simple on/off choice for the DHCP server, independent of the router and wireless access point.

Padawan
posted Hide Post
I want to disable the dhcp so my clients will look only to me xserver for dns services. I need this because I am having kerberos problems. Now I am going to have to use my xserve as my gateway.
Thanks

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Alec,

Although the hardware could do what you want, the management interface supplied by the Airport Utility does not allow that configuration. The exception is a PPoE connection for WAN which does allow setting DNS server IP addresses.

Apple does not tell us why they limited the configuration choices, but it may be assumptions (unwarranted or not) about our real needs or may be to limit their support burden.

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
So let me get this straight... with the amount of money that Apple charges for their WAPs, you can't even specify a DNS server address??

I think you just reminded me why I've never spent money on an AirPort station.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paul,

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

Posts: 1418 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Paul,

The particular combination of NAT and no DHCP is apparently not part of Steve's product vision today. That does not diminish the value of the device to the many others who do not need that particular configuration.

That said, Apple has been known to correct apparent flaws in products over time. An Airport example the the firmware version which did not allow any selection of DHCP IP address scope at all - now replaced today with a version which allows only selection of RFC1918 IP addresses. This removed the show-stopper which prevented drop-in replacement of other brands by the Apple Airport or Airport Extreme.

An experienced network IP addressing manager might find this restriction to RFC1918 addressing unnecessary, but Apple certainly prevents the myriad problems caused by casual use of non-RFC1918 IP addressing. Thus, though not strictly technically necessary, it is prudent from an address management viewpoint and from a customer support viewpoint.

The bottom line is that Apple's Airport Extreme continues to sell well regardless of the idiosyncratic management interface. Not all those customers are wrong.

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
James,

I am in no way suggesting that Apple's AirPort is *crap*, I'm simply saying that with the premium price that Apple charges for it's base stations, you'd think they would include (at least) a minimal amount of advanced features.

Apple is kidding itself if it thinks it's products aren't going to end up in some type of Workgroup/LAN environment. All Alec wants to do is disable DHCP, or specify the DHCP server so that he can dish out addresses from his Xeserve, yet his Airport won't allow this.

For Pete's sake, I can do that on MY Buffalo base station that I probably paid less than half the amount for. And.... how much did he pay for this thing???

========================

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Paul,

These are designed to be consumer products. With fewer choices come less chances of setting the thing up so it won't work. Anyone choosing to use them in a workgroup setting is asking for trouble.

There was an older deployment utility that did let you change all these kinds of things, but it no longer runs.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Jack, I understand all of that. I'm just saying if an Airport has only consumer based functionality, then it should only have a consumer based price!! At $179.00 a piece, I would think an AirPort Extreme to be (at least) a lower-end Pro-sumer router and access point, with the ability to set DHCP settings!

========================

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I would not characterize the Gigabit Airport Extreme as having "consumer based functionality" just because one cannot independently disable the DHCP server. For example, the inclusion of MAC or ID based IP address reservations clearly puts the DHCP server in a more capable category than just "consumer".

Also, I am not aware of any router in this price class which allows setting of any of the more than two hundred DCHP (IPv4) options beyond DNS Server addresses.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Paul,

You're paying for the "it just works" and Apple logo. It's no bargain, but it does make it very easy to get running. Most other brands offer too many choices for some consumers. For you and I, these are outrageously priced. For people with zero networking ability, they are nice, because the interface and software make it very easy to get going. That's what you pay for.

===