Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    how to use airport express with directv dvr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how to use airport express with directv dvr
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted
I currently have 2 dvr's with directv service. One is successfully set up to receive On Demand via the slingbox turbo connected to the dvr. I have an airport extreme. Now, I would like to use my airport express, which I use for airtunes, to connect to my other dvr so that I can receive On Demand on my other tv. I connected both ethernet ports on my airport express and dvr, but cannot get a connection. I did some internet research and found that I need to change my system to WDS and change the security. I am not sure why I should have to change anything since my other dvr works fine connecting to the internet. Can the airport express be used this way? Is it safe to change to WDS? My internet works very well now and I hate to change anything since I have so many things connected i.e. vonage, slingbox, hard drive, printer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 280 | Location: West Bloomfield, Mi. | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You're trying to use the Express as a bridge instead of an access point - basically, backwards from normal operation. So yes, you need to configure it for WDS.

The good news is you have an Extreme as your other access point. Just go through the configuration utility for Airport and configure the Express for WDS. It's pretty simple if you follow the wizard.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted Hide Post
This is where I get stuck.

Posts: 280 | Location: West Bloomfield, Mi. | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You need to set up the Extreme first and add the Express to it. Go through the wizard with the Extreme.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted Hide Post
What security should be used? I have read that either no security or wep would work. Is that true? Will this setup effect anything else on my network?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You can still use WPA with an extended (WDS) network. You should download this manual from Apple which explains how to set things up.

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted Hide Post
Hi Jack--
The manual was helpful, but still just can't get it to work. I can set up the airport extreme as a wds following the manual, but then the airport express disappears and cannot be found on the wireless network. Therefore, I can't change it to act as a participant of the network. Also, do I have to add everything that is connected to the airport extreme separately i.e. vonage, slingbox? If I do, this is getting way too complicated and I will just leave it as it is. Thanks.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
When the Express "disappears", did you wait 2-3 minutes? It should be rebooting. Once it comes up, it should show up in the Extreme's tab under WDS.

You may need to hook a computer directly to the Express if you are currently trying to configure it only vis wireless.

The other devices should not have to be configured.

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted Hide Post
Still can't get the dvr to connect to the network. I called Apple and he said that WDS is an older connection type and that the newer extreme and express already work with WDS. Is that correct? The express works fine with airtunes so i know that it is connected to the network. Just can't figure out why the dvr won't connect via the ethernet port. Directv is of absolutely no use. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
I don't understand what Apple told you - it's older but it works? Yeah, we knew that. Not real helpful.

At this point, without actually seeing what you've done and how things are hooked up, I don't think I can be of any more help. Sorry.

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted Hide Post
I needed a new dvr. Ethernet port was not working. Connected easily to airport express with new dvr.