Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    NEED a mac network monochromatic laser printer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEED a mac network monochromatic laser printer
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Chris Doerner-McCary
posted
After perusing Amazon and all of their wireless monochromatic laser printer offerings, I read the critiques only to find that many "mac friendly" network printers just don't work with Mac OS 10.6. unless attached to the USB.

I would truly appreciate suggestions of fellow mac group members for models of wireless laser network printers that are known to work well with mac and pc in the home. I still use Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard on the mac side, and have XP pro and Vista on the PC side. My HP printer has seen it's last sunset and sucked my wallet dry.

I'm hoping for a $250 range (if realistic) unit that definitely is operational with MAC. No AIO's welcome - been there, done that, burned the t-shirt. Guess I'm just becoming a cynical consumer who doesn't like returning stuff.

THANKS Mac Group ..... Please empower me with your knowledge of printers worth my dollars. Confused

If one beholds the sublime in art - one can view Mac as an artform!

Posts: 141 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Do you need the printer to be wireless enabled or to just be able to print to it from your wireless network at home? Will the printer be located near your router, or other access point?

We have three laser printers (all HPs's 2 B/W and one color) connected to our wired & wireless network and all of our laptops can print from Mac OSX 10.6.4 either from machines plugged into the network or wireless. None of our networked printers are connected via USB. Only the ones that are used on my MacPro.

Look at this one Link from HP. The specs read as follows ...........

Networking Standard (built-in WiFi 802.11b/g)

Wireless capability Yes, WiFi 802.11b/g

Connectivity 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0; 1 WiFi 802.11b/g

Dimensions 13.74 x 9.38 x 7.71 in

Weight 11.6 lb

Supported operating systems

Mac OS X v 10.4, v 10.5, v 10.6

Windows® 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows Vista® (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows® XP (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows® Server 2008 (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows® Server 2003 (32-bit/64-bit)

(see http://www.hplip.net for current)

Print languages Host-based printing

ENERGY STAR® qualified Yes

If I can help, Please call.

Brian Stone

248-546-9339

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Chris Doerner-McCary
posted Hide Post
Thank You Brian. My wireless network is on two floors and the printer would be on the second floor, with a "g" range Belkin router downstairs.

I can't change the location of the router due to broadband access point.

So many manufacturers and so many printer models make claims that the products are universally accessible, however, when reading the customer reviews, I'm struck by how many mac users have issues (Brother HL series in particular).

My WPA/WEP network has always been universally accessible by macs, yet the printing unit loses the IP on a regular basis. Is there a foolproof method of establishing a hub that will resolve this?

I will definitely call you, and thank you for offering to assist me in this peripheral nightmare. Smile

If one beholds the sublime in art - one can view Mac as an artform!

Posts: 141 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven Klein
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm struck by how many mac users have issues (Brother HL series in particular).

That's curious. I have a Brother HL-1240 plugged into an Airport Express, and it's working fine.

quote:
Is there a foolproof method of establishing a hub that will resolve this?

Well, you could use an Airport Express with a brother HL-1240, because I can guarantee that will work.

Note: There's two ways to use an Airport Express with a printer.
#1: If the Express has an Ethernet connection to your network, the Express can share the printer and extend your network.
#2: If the Express connects wirelessly to your network, it can share the printer, but it can't simultaneously extend your network.

--
Steven Klein Computer Service
Apple & A+ Certified
Your Mac, PC & Network Expert
Phone: (248) YOUR-MAC
or (248) 968-7622

Posts: 167 | Location: Southeast Michigan | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
:
I can't change the location of the router due to broadband access point.

Chris, I don't know who you have your broadband with, but you can have a second access point. Our cable service is routed through the basement, but the line-in was split just outside the house, with a line running up to my second floor office. Where the line comes into my office there is a wall co-ax connector. That line was then split by their tech so it could be used for both modem and TV.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
My WPA/WEP network has always been universally accessible by macs, yet the printing unit loses the IP on a regular basis. Is there a foolproof method of establishing a hub that will resolve this?

Are they losing the IP address or is it getting a different on via the DHCP server in your router?

The only real way to keep a unit from losing the IP Address is to assign a "Static Address". This is how we have it at home. I set the static address on an HP Jetdirect connected to Char's HP LaserJet 6P and it is always there. The same goes for my Trendnet "JetDirect" which is connected to My HP LaserJet 6P. Our HP 1518ni color laser printer has the JetDirect built in and that also has a static IP address. Ours printers are all wired and in different rooms and the basement. We can print to any and all either through our Ethernet connected Macs or our wireless laptops.

Regarding the reviews you have been reading I am sure most of the people that are giving poor reviews do not know how to correctly setup the device they are working with. There are a lot of people that will not read the manual or the documentation that is on the CD.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
The effect of a "Static Address" using DHCP can be achieved without modifying the printer settings if your router supports DHCP Reservations. (It is a bit Tech-Oriented.)

For example, using Airport Utility on and Airport Extreme:

AirPort Utility (Manual Setup) > Internet > DHCP

Click the Plus (+) sign to add a reserved IP address for the printer from outside the range set in the upper part of the window. Usually, the MAC address is on the printer label. If not, you can go to Advanced > Logs and Statistics > DHCP Clients to see the device MAC and the current IP Address.

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post