Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    Suggestions for less then $100 router.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for less then $100 router.
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I know little about routers and want to get one for my home. I have a verizon usb 720 that i use to get on the internet and want to not use it while I'm in my house. I want one that allows for more then one devise to log on to use the internet in time (for my kids). Should I buy new or should I get an older model? Apple not apple?
I have a macbookand a ibookG4 right now.

I have an old airport base station serial Number FQ3394VDM2C that I don't think I can use its so old. Is that right?

thanks Kelly

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Do you have internet access coming into the house aside from the USB 720 device? Cable or DSL modem?

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Depending on who your Internet provider will be at your home, they may offer to supply you with a wireless router. Your old airport will work but it will be slow compared to a more current model. (the serial number you supplied doesn't tell us much - a model number would be more helpful).

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2117 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
USB 720 device is the only way I have internet. There is not cable or dsl out where I am.
Model # M8440 for my Airport.

Posts: 360 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
A router will not get you on the internet without some type of signal source. You must have cable or DSL. A router is connected to some sort of modem (cable or DSL) which provides the internet connectivity and is then multiplied into more than one signal that can be connected to by multiple computers (wired or wireless). Otherwise each computer would need a Verizon USB 720 or equal.

Posts: 1655 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Well, if that is the only way you can access the internet then that is what you will have to use. Assuming you are using a Mac, you can share that connection with your other computers and wireless devices within range by turning on Internet in the Sharing and keeping that computer on. You say Share your Connection from whatever to Computers Using whatever. This makes your computer an access point and it acts like a wireless router for you. This has been available on Macs for a long time.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
The USB720 will work with devices like this Cradlepoint CTR350 to connect several devices at the same time. http://3gstore.com/index.php?m...h=35&products_id=610 There are other similar devices available.

The CR350 provides wireless connectivity and one Ethernet port - the Ethernet port can serve several wired devices by using an Ethernet switch.

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
If you have Sprint network cellphone coverage in your area, you could consider the Mifi device on VirginMobile (owned by Sprint), which gives you the ability to connect up to 5 devices Wirelessly. The Mifi costs $150 and unlimited service is $40 per month. This is the most economical price and plan for this device. I got mine at Best Buy. They are in great demand and hard to find. You can use it while plugged in, but you can also carry it around and get about 4 hours out of a charge. The battery is replaceable.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
So on the CTR350 do I connect my USB720 to that??? sorry I don't know much like I said. then open my verison software and my Macbook will see it?

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted November 24, 2010 12:04 PM Hide Post
So on the CTR350 do I connect my USB720 to that??

Yes. And then use the Airport connection from your MacBook. The Verizon software on the MacBook would be unused since the USB720 is connected to the router, not the MacBook.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
So this would allow multiple wireless devices in close proximity to share the signal coming in over the USB 720? This uses up whatever monthly bandwidth faster though. I wonder if this would run the bill up excessively. And if that USB720 needs to go away from the house with the laptop, then the other devices have no Internet access until it returns homeatTnat seems workable as long as there's no one home needing Internet access at the same time.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Donna,

You have it exactly correct. Last time I looked, 5GB was the largest limit for Verizon. Alternate connection sources for large laptop downloads are: Friend, Panera, McDonalds, many Libraries, ... The list goes on. The first choice is best.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
What I like particularly about the Mifi on VirginMobile is that it is $40 per month unlimited. The coverage is probably not as wide as Verizon, but the price is better.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Good news for me is that I have had my verizon connection so long I have no GB restrictions it is actually unlimited for real, it was grandfathered in. So I'm not worried about the limites they have on nowadays data packages.

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
It also appears that Verizon will finally be rolling out 4G sometime in December.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Also for those that would like to get a MiFi, but DON'T need it all the time (say only for travel), then Virgin is the only ones I know of with a Pay-as-you-go plan with no contracts!

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post