Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    extreme vs express
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

extreme vs express
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
Does the airport extreme produce a stronger wifi signal than the express? I'm having trouble getting a full strength signal to my apple tv and was told replacing my express with an extreme is necessary. Could I use a second airport express? Would I need access to another ethernet hard wire or could a second express (or extreme) boost the signal wirelessly?

Thanks

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You can use a second Express to extend your network without more ethernet. You will need to set the first Express to allow the network to be extended, and then when setting up the new one, say you are extending a network. Note that running an extended network is somewhat slower.

The radio output power of the Extreme and Express are listed as being identical by Apple.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
How old is the Airport Express that you are currently using?

If it is a G speed unit, upgrading to a newer Express or Extreme will help. Airport Express units have a range of up to 75 feet where the Airport Extreme unit will do almost twice that. Keep in mind that what your home is constructed of will affect signal strength/range.

I suggest that an Express unit be used in Apt./ small condos and Extreme units for home/office settings.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2119 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Curious as to why both units have the same output specs, but the Extreme has a greater range? Does the Extreme have a gain antenna?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Im not sure how old the airport express is.. I think Ive had it a couple of years. I show 3 bars of signal strength on my apple tv which is about 35-40 ft away from my airport express (and one wall of drywall)

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Jack, not sure but the Extreme definitely offers WAY BETTER coverage than the Express. I have one of the current model Extremes and it covers my entire 4800 sq ft studio space. It's mounted in an upstairs phone closet towards the front of the building. I was blown away when I tested it by connecting in the farthest reaches of the building.

I like the Express because of AirPlay audio, portability for travel, but I'll take an Extreme any day when range is important.

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Beckman:
Dave,

Curious as to why both units have the same output specs, but the Extreme has a greater range? Does the Extreme have a gain antenna?

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post