Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    Treo Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Treo Question
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I'm looking into purchasing a used Treo 650 to replace my laundered (as in washing machine) 3 month old cell phone and my aging Palm m500 and I have a question about data entry on the Treos.

Does graffiti still exist on the Treos, or does all data entry happen through the tiny keypad?

Thanks,
Brian

Posts: 237 | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Treos no longer ship with Graffiti. You may be able to purchase a handwriting recognition app separately and install it, but I have not used one so I don't know what's out there.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

If I decide to go that way, I'll just have to get used to the keyboard.

Brian

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I have another question regarding the Treo. I have made the purchase of a Treo 650 from eBay and something I didn't think of was installation software. The device came with a windows install cd, no mac install. I figured no big deal, I can just download and install from Palm's website. Now I figure out that there is a Media conduit that is not included in the download, it can only be had on the cd. Any ideas on where I could get my hands on a media conduit?

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
I looked through my Palm installation (conduits folder) and I don't even see one called Media. However, I highly recommend The Missing Sync for all your Palm Treo syncing needs. It blows the aging Palm Desktop away! It's updated regularly. It's a Universal Binary for both PPC and intel Macs. It works with iCal, iTunes, iPhoto, Address Book, etc. It's more Mac like and just a better experience all the way around. Well worth the price.

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
It looks like the media conduit isn't even installed as part of the normal installation process. Supposedly I can download it if I sign up for a developers account.

I'll check into the Missing Sync. For my minimal needs, the Palm Desktop is doing ok and I like that everything is canned up in one application (more or less). Not to mention, I really like the interface from the Dock icon.

Thanks for the advice.

quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:
I looked through my Palm installation (conduits folder) and I don't even see one called Media. However, I highly recommend The Missing Sync for all your Palm Treo syncing needs. It blows the aging Palm Desktop away! It's updated regularly. It's a Universal Binary for both PPC and intel Macs. It works with iCal, iTunes, iPhoto, Address Book, etc. It's more Mac like and just a better experience all the way around. Well worth the price.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Have you checked Palm's site? I seem to remember that you download Mac software from them that links their software to iSync. And there were instructions on the Palm site. Go there and do a search in the Help.

Posts: 2264 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
I agree with Terry- I have a Treo 650 and I struggled with iSync and Palm Desktop for about 3 months and finally gave in and bought The Missing Sync and there is a world of difference. Hopefully when iPhone gets here it will sync with the Apple Apps without any gliches.

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I did get my software from Palm's website. My Hot Sync Manager lists a media conduit, but I can't actually find one on my system and if I have it set to sync, it just generates errors. Not to mention, I know I read somewhere on Palm's website that the media conduit is only on the cd and is installed seperately, but I can't find it again for the life of me.

quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
Have you checked Palm's site? I seem to remember that you download Mac software from them that links their software to iSync. And there were instructions on the Palm site. Go there and do a search in the Help.

Also, I looked at the Missing Sync and it looks like a great piece of software. I think it is probably overkill for what I'm doing. I'm probably just going to let it ride as is for a while and see how it works out.

Thanks for all your input.

Brian

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Have you tried looking at the support site at Palm for the 650? they have it organized by carrier. For instance, here is the link for Verizon: <http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/treo650verizon/>
then you could type in "media center". There are a bunch of links.
What are you trying to do? Are you saying you cannot sync at all?
Also here's a page for Macintosh support
<http://www.palm.com/us/support/macintosh/>

Posts: 2264 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Everything syncs fine with the exception of the Media Conduit which reports errors every time I sync. I have pictures that I took with the Treo 650 camera that should be syncing to the desktop, but they are not.

I read somewhere about the media conduit not being included in the Palm Desktop download, so I just figured that was the problem.

I can mount my SD card in my media reader and get the photos that way, but it was bugging me that the sync wasn't working.

I'll do some more digging around to see what I come up with.

quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
Have you tried looking at the support site at Palm for the 650? they have it organized by carrier. For instance, here is the link for Verizon: <http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/treo650verizon/>
then you could type in "media center". There are a bunch of links.
What are you trying to do? Are you saying you cannot sync at all?
Also here's a page for Macintosh support
<http://www.palm.com/us/support/macintosh/>

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I was just talking to Verizon, and they said Treo's running Windows Mobile have significant problems. If you want a Treo, you'd best get the Palm OS.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
For some reason I just never wanted a Windows mobile device. No one that I know that has one loves it. The Palm OS has its shortcomings too and it seems kind of outdated as to where it should be by now. However, it does WORK! If it wasn't for the iPhone I would have upgraded my Treo 650 to a 680. It has more RAM (the biggest problem with the 650) and more up to date bluetooth implementation. As a matter of fact on my way to the Steve Jobs keynote back at Macworld expo, I said, "if they don't introduce the iPhone I will place my order for the Treo 680 this afternoon." As we know that order never got placed because the iPhone did get announced. I can live with the Treo 650 until my iPhone arrives.

Of the three major smartphone OS's (Palm, Windows, Symbion), I prefer Palm. Palm Treo plus the Missing Sync is a combination that can't be beat - unless it's the iPhone.

----

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I hope that Apple + AT&T launch the iPhone with minimal trouble. I'll be eagerly awaiting the public's verdict.

My Verizon UTC StarComm XV6700 is not very good. I bought it because it had the highest res LCD on the market. The phone has great reception, but other ergonomics are poor.

Verizon telephone connections are good, but their customer service is generally lackluster. They're relatively expensive, but you can connect in the Styx with their phone service and a good phone.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post