Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    HELP: Spy on my computer!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP: Spy on my computer!
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted
I just found out under my shared area that someone was on my computer for about an hour-until I finally figured out how to encrypt my network. I have never noticed this before on my computer, and I figured that I was somewhat safe because my antenna on my wireless router was removed, so you really need to be next to it within 20ft to reach it. However on my computer tonight, I saw this name pop-up.

How do I know if this person viewed anything on my computer or downloaded/uploaded anything on my mac? How do I know if anything was taken?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: artphanto,

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You don't. There's no way to tell for sure. You could look at "last opened" dates on files, but unless you know what they were supposed to be, that's not much help. You might be able to spot some things in the logs, but unless they made some configuration changes, it's unlikely anything will stand out. This is why it's vital to encrypt networks.

Taking off the antenna is merely shortening the life of your radio, unless it was designed to work that way. Transmitters without a proper antenna system will burn out.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
You also cannot be sure that "they" got in via wireless because if you were using all of the factory defaults, you had no protection at all.

Posts: 1656 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
I understand. So is there a good way to safeguard properly (for the future)? Is there a program that will immediately alert me if someone latches on, or something that will show me if someone else is on my computer up in the finder? At my old job, I was able to see when the IT guys were on my computer remotely (I had eyes or something pop up in my finder)-can I do that here at home?

Thanks for the education as always!

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You should turn off all Sharing in System Preferences if you don't need them. In addition, you can turn on the firewall to help protect your system if you are not behind one (a router between you and your ISP) already.

As for a notification - I'm not familiar with any, but that doesn't mean there isn't one out there.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
And, if you do need sharing, as in File Sharing, delete all the Public folders shown in the sharing panel and limit the sharing to specific users only.

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Great advice, thank you both! I see how easy it is to get taken advantage of-if you are not paying attention!