Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    internet video conference
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

internet video conference
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted
We at work need to view a video conference from Korea,,, they say we will need our IP address (where is that located?)

they also indicated that they are using this conference system
http://www.polycom.com/usa/en/products/video/video_conf...ce_room/vsx6000.html

any ideas or comments?

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
What will you be using on your end?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Good luck with that!!!!

Video conferencing is a crap shoot. We use a VCON HD3000 and even with 2 T1 Lines with load balancing, it's still hit and miss.

Another good site to get your IP Address is IP Chicken.com. Just don't forget you'll most likely have to open ports for H.323 on your firewall. If you can set a bandwidth reservation, DO IT!! You'll be much happier.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paul,

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1418 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Contact Polycom and ask for their recommendations on a connection. Broadband is generally not the way to go for "webcams." Polycom offers somewhat more proprietary solutions than other methods. They want to sell you hardware. I wouldn't invest in it just to have one conference with one group of people. If it's an ongoing meeting, that might be a good reason.

Audio conferences are very effective, if you're not going to be viewing live operations, instrument readings, or something where a picture is worth a thousand words. Send paper handouts before the meeting, so there is time to print them. People watching bored people is not justification for a video conference.

WebEx and Breeze are reliable, but expensive, for broadband video conferencing. Use them if you're in a BIG hurry to set up something that requires video (moving images) - that's the way to go for infrequent video conferences. PicTel requires a T1 connection, so they're even more expensive than WebEx and Breeze.

Paul is correct, regarding the gambling nature of "webcam" videoconferencing. There are many variables, probably most beyond your control.

If you want, I can put you in touch with a video conference consultant, who's very knowledgeable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck M,

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
We do video conferencing all the time here. A T1 with at least 384k free bandwidth is going to be pretty much a requirement.

The Polycoms can be fussy but they do work. If you have one on both ends it will be easier. It would be helpful to know what you will use on your end.

Paul is right about the royal pain it can be if you are going outside your firewall - depending upon the firewall it may be very difficult to get it configured correctly.

Chuck, does, Breeze or WebEx do conferencing or presentations? I was under the impression that the video was one-way for both of those. I know you can have two-way audio, but it sounds like Jan is talking about 2 way audio/video.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Jack: WebEx and Breeze (I'm not too familiar with Breeze, but I have used WebEx a couple times) have varying degrees of capability for variable cost, I think. Check that out - I didn't check their websites before saying that in an effort to answer your question quickly. In fact, you have to call WebEx - they do not publicly disclose their costs.

WebEx is easy to arrange and setup. I believe WebEx's cost is negotiable to some extent - their rates vary considerably for essentially the same service. I think Ford was paying something like $32 per hour per client in 2006. [ Client means "party line." You need at least two parties, or clients, to have a web conference. If I tried to have the same conference, it would cost me twice as much.]

Again, if you want to know more, I can put you in touch with Al Huberty.

Oh, BTW. These are the key elements you should be investigating when you evaluate video conferencing:

Do I need:
1. to see live action from a video camera - talking faces, somebody pointing to charts, an instrument panel, etc.?
2. to see paper charts on a "flatbed projector?"
3. to see images directly from a computer screen?
4. to see video images from a DVD?
5. to see live "markup" from either a computer screen or electronic "chalk board?"
6. to accomplish "test taking" in an instructional forum, or voting in meeting?

Equipment and requirements vary according to your needs. I also know a salesman (Marsall Miller) in Ohio that is selling a Chinese system to accomplish some of those more esoteric needs.

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
quote:
We do video conferencing all the time here. A T1 with at least 384k free bandwidth is going to be pretty much a requirement.

Wow.. The Polycoms must be much better than these VCON Piles of @#$%!!! I have ours set to 768K and resolution set for XVGA and it's still pretty choppy. I did try 384K and it was about as enjoyable as a root canal!

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

Posts: 1418 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Clarification to Chuck's message:
Macromedia Breeze is now Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro. The Breeze name is DEAD.

There are hosted and server versions available. It is cross platform by nature and the participants generally already have what they need to watch/listen (the Flash Player). There is a small add-in that will install if you are presenting/broadcasting.

You can also try out (for FREE) our new product - code name BRIO which allows up to 3 people/locations to do a conference with voice, video and screensharing. The plan for this is to remain a FREE product for people to get their feet wet with conferencing.

Learn about BRIO here.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Of course another variable that should be part of your equation is how many people will be on each end? If it's just 2 or three, 2 iMacs and iChat may be all you need.

========================

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
Wow.. The Polycoms must be much better than these VCON Piles of @#$%!!! I have ours set to 768K and resolution set for XVGA and it's still pretty choppy. I did try 384K and it was about as enjoyable as a root canal!

They work OK once you get them set up. We had some trouble getting my MacBook Pro to talk to it in auto-answer mode, but otherwise it worked OK. We have actually gone as low as 150k in some conferences (and personally I find them to bee to choppy at that speed). Polycom to Polycom does seem to work out OK though, and they do use standards-based H.323 video conferencing. You can even have 3 or 4 connected at once with the model we have (which is kind of old now).

Terry,

BRIO looks interesting - thanks for the link!

===

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Again, I'm in total amazement of the knowledge of this board. The conference will be small ,,and needs to link audio back to Korea

Do they need our IP to link us in or do we just need their IP only

Boy I really liked Terry's product at the meeting

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
You can possibly use one of Polycom's Voice Stations, like this one for an audio conference. No IP address required - just a telephone plug.

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
janp

It depends on several variables. I would say the safest thing to do is to exchange IPs with them. The reason is that you may need to add some "allow" rules to your firewall based on IP, and they may need to do the same.

Jack may have a better suggestion, but if you're not concerned about security (of the conference itself), I would move both conferencing units to their respective DMZs. That way you don't have to worry about what ports are being blocked. Then assign each unit a public IP (Assuming you have an extra one). You may still need to worry about bandwidth reservations.

Chuck does bring up a good point. If all you're doing is audio with no video, there really isn't much that can go wrong with using the telephone! You can use VOIP but that tends to chew up a lot of bandwidth as well.

========================

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
I agree with Chuck and Paul here - if this is one-way video (or no video), just use a phone.

I'm not a fan of having anything in the DMZ - just the other day, a web site we use for just a few clients (it's still in pilot and we have not publicized the site) started getting slammed with probes (it looks like from our "friends" at McCaffe) so badly it resulted in a Denial of Service attack (from people suppose to help prevent it - thanks a lot). We had to block them at our firewall to stop the attack.

So even if they can't hurt the device, scumbags can still cause problems. So I personally don't like anything outside the firewall unless it's really necessary.

===

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
I agree Jack, but I was thinking just for the duration of the conference itself. Once it's done, the Video Unit is shut off and put away. Although it's possible, I don't think they'd have much to worry about in the way of a DOS attack during a short video conference.

========================

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
McAfee? I'd pour a latté into their computers. With lots of cream and sugar. Big Grin

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
OK what happened to the good old days of land lines??

Now I'm really cornfused!