Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    Airport vs. 2wire
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airport vs. 2wire
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted
I switched to ATT uverse this week. WOW was getting slower and slower. Uverse provides a 2wire wireless. Which should I use ? my airport extreme or the 2wire

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Depends on the model of each. If you want 5GHz N, then a recent Extreme is a better choice. You may also find that the Airport Utility makes configuration of the Access Point security easier for you.

If you do use the Extreme, make certain to disable the 2wire wireless.

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Every September, students start using the Internet for school and Internet games. Every September, business users start using more bandwidth. I've always noticed a slowdown and odd service behavior in September due to increased usage. Just the opposite is true in June.

AT&T's setup service is VERY GOOD. The mid-grade 2Wire modem-router is almost flawless. It employs USA-written firmware. That's VERY important.

I've never owned any Airport model, but the dichotomy between modem and router seems enough to avoid that disparate combination. Throughput and ease-of-configuration are certainly major factors to consider with an Airport, but so are (WiFi) availability and reliability. I suspect AT&T will win on the last two points. 2Wire integrates the modem and router, not simply in one box from one vendor, but with quality firmware. Linksys, D-Link, etc. cannot achieve that level of quality, due to a lack of integration, and poor foreign firmware/hardware/support. I'm not sure who controls the design and manufacturing of an Airport - hopefully Apple has major control. But with an Airport, you still have the problem of vendor A(pple) for routers and vendor X for modems - not the tightest integration. WOW! goes offline every Saturday for maintenance around noon for an hour. WOW!'s modem would occasionally drop my connection, and my D-Link router would need to be reset as often as once-a-day. That's not the best availability or reliability. WPA is not available on my D-Link router - it was a chip level defect. D-Link's advertising is misleading. Again - bad reliability.

If Jan never secured his old WOW! router, that is a possible cause of slowness. It was for me and for another WOW! customer. That's a "manual" operation, unless Jan is using Airport auto-config software.

It's worth trying both solutions - Airport Extreme vs. 2Wire. I'm not sure how Jan is going to use the 2Wire's modem section and connect it into an Airport Extreme. My 2Wire doesn't provide a "modem out" connector. To use your Airport Extreme, you'll need to acquire a VDSL modem from AT&T - or connect an Airport router in series with the 2Wire router. I don't think the latter solution is easy or reliable.

If Jan doesn't know how to secure his router, now is a very good time to learn. Given the dangers of War Driving or just unethical neighbors, you could inadvertently get involved in something you don't want to (via YOUR unsecured internet connection). You lock your car - so lock your WiFi also.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck M,

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
thanks for the answer Chuck,,,but what should I use ?? older airport extreme or 2wire????

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Use the 2wire if the Airport Extreme is "B or G" speed technology. Using the latest "N" speed will only work if you have the Square Airport Extreme and can find a way to disable the 2wire wireless feature.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2116 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Use the 2Wire modem, and learn how to configure it yourself, or have AT&T do it for FREE. Of course, you have to know what security features you want enabled so you can tell AT&T.

Other than DIY configuration ease, there's no advantage to the Airport Extreme. The 2Wire is "free" and so is AT&T support.

I'm not sure what Uverse Internet download speed Jan has chosen, but 802.11b is the only WiFi speed likely to choke-off Uverse's high speed services. WiFi routers are generally faster than most people's Internet subscription. Internet or cable speed is the choke point in the system.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Well, it sounds like he already owns the AE, so there's no extra cost either way. For novices, the AE is probably easier to set up than the 2Wire, but either is fine. If you think you may move off AT&T in the future, use the AE, as you can probably avoid configuring again down the road. If there's no plans to switch off, there's nothing wrong with the 2Wire. just make sure to change the default security to WPA or WPA2 if it supports it - the 2Wire installs I have seen have all used WEP, which is not secure.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
I have a WPA password but it is only numbers (13 of them)

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
how can i tell what modl of A I have???

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Start up Airport Utility and see what it connects to. It would also help if you tell us what it looks like.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
What's Jan going to plug his Airport into?

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
It's a square AE Jack

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
the 2 wire that ATT provides is a big MoFo it's a large gray and black that looks very impressive. I can probably use this for my airport.

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Jan: do you have a VDSL modem to plug your Airport Extreme into?

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
What is VDSL

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
so what i would like to set up is a wireless printer
I guess I can just use the AE as a stand alone wireless not attached to internet
the 2 wire is in the basement and I would have to run Cat5

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's Jan going to plug his Airport into?

Chuck - into the 2Wire, like any other access point into any other router.

I'm curious as to what VDSL has to do with anything here. (VDSL is very high speed DSL). I'm pretty sure that's not available from AT&T in any case.

Jan - the square AE is the latest, supporting 802.11n. You can't set up the AE without wiring unless you can set it up in client mode to talk to the 2Wire. Otherwise, you will have 2 different wireless networks - and you can't connect to both at once. To print you would have to get off the Internet, print, then get back on the Internet.

I am starting to get a bit lost as to what you want to do. Would this printer for some reason not be near a computer?

The main points to consider again are ease of setup vs having extra equipment. If you OK setting up the 2Wire, you might be better off using that, as you will have one less thing to deal with. The AE is easier to set up if you are not very experienced with wifi networks. The AE is probably faster as the 2Wire may not support N mode, but your Internet connection will be the bottleneck here, not the wireless router. If you have two computers on your local network both using wireless, then the AE "n" router is a plus, as when they talk to each other they will be considerably faster (transferring files, for instance) and if they are both on the internet at the same time, there will be more bandwidth. But either the 2Wire or the AE will do the job.[

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of Rhonda
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about getting att uverse to improve my internet speed. I currently have att dsl. The dsl router/modem is being used just as a modem and I am using my Airport extreme on my network with two other airport expresses. I am comfortable using the airport utility. I also have a printer, slingbox, and ooma connected along with two laptops. Will I be able to keep my same setup or am I looking for trouble? I tried asking an Att installer, but he didn't know if anything would work. I rescheduled my installation. All advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
Rhonda

Posts: 280 | Location: West Bloomfield, Mi. | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
It will work just fine. From your point of view, you will be swapping out the DSL modem for the U-verse modem, but otherwise should not have any issues.

===

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
janp says he wants to have his printer be able to be accessed wirelessly by computers on his network. On my Airport Extreme (an older one, not the n version) I just plug my printer directly into the Airport Extreme into the E-net out port and any computer on that network can "see" it. I'm not familiar with the ports on the 2-wire, but maybe can he do that if there is an E-net out port.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post