Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    mobile hot spot/ rotor advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mobile hot spot/ rotor advice
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I have a grandfathered plan with verizon so I truly have unlimited with my data plan. And I dont want to change my plan. I use a USB720.

I was thinking about getting the Novatel Mifi 2200 but when calling verison 2 people said my plan wont change and one said it would.

I also could get a CradlePoint CTR 350 and I wont have to even call them to activate anything as far as i understand.

Can someone tell me will my service be faster with the 2200. Or what are the pros and cons of the hotspot vs the CTR 350 (I think they are the same)
Also will a ipad run on both?

Sorry for silly questions Im just starting to understand this stuff. Thanks Kelly

Posts: 357 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Why don't you go to a Verizon store and ask to speak to the manager. I have done this in the past and been very satisfied with their level of help and service.

This way you will probably get much better information than talking to a salesperson.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Two things:

1) I have a Verizon card as well through work and since it's through work I'm not really authorized to make any changes to my plan PERIOD. However, I bought a refurbished MiFi 2200 with NO CONTRACT. I first attempted to go through work to get it put onto my existing plan in place of the V740 Express Card that I can no longer use (I don't have an Express Card Slot anymore). Our contracted mobile service company acted like I was speaking in Klingon (there is no support for the MiFi hot spots through our contractor - which is why I bought and expensed the MiFi separately). They suggested that I had to get approval from someone at the corporate office. I placed the call. In the meantime I decided to call Verizon myself. I figured the worse they would do is to tell me that I wasn't authorized to make the equipment change. 5 minutes later I was up and running on the new MiFi 2200 with no changes to my contract. Verizon simply didn't care since I was just doing an EMI equipment change.

2) It's NO FASTER! As a matter of fact it may even feel a little slower because of the latency between 3G and WiFi. So if you're looking for a speed boost. This won't do it. If you're looking for the ability to share your Verizon 3G service with up to 5 devices then the MiFi 2200 is the way to go!

Side Note and nothing to do with your situation:
I know that people bash AT&T for all kinds of reasons and some of which it's probably deserved. However, now that I have a Verizon MiFi AND and an AT&T MiFi, AT&T's 3G network blows away Verizon's 3G network in terms of SPEED.

my last speed test using the AT&T MiFi:

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

ATT

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
will a ipad run on both?

So the CRT and the 2200 will seem slower even if there is only one device being used?

Posts: 357 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Where is the ESN on the CTR 350?

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Slower is relative. You may not notice it at all. It's just that WiFi adds one more step in the connection that the data has to go through.

quote:
Originally posted by poobelly:
will a ipad run on both?

So the CRT and the 2200 will seem slower even if there is only one device being used?

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
There is no ESN on the CTR 350 because you're not registering that router with Verizon. You're plugging your existing card into it.

quote:
Originally posted by poobelly:
Where is the ESN on the CTR 350?

----