Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Wireless    What next?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What next?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
I'm trying to set up a network to service 2 Apple computers, a 2007 aluminum 24" i mac with 4GB of RAM and a just purchased 2009 mac mini. The Mini will be used with our 52" Sharp LCD and Elgato Eye TV Hybrid Tuner to form a home enter-
tainment DVR.I had planned to connect them with a hard wired router:http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DI-604. This router is now out of production and I am not sure if I can set it to work with my Earthlink DSL over PPPoE? In fact I don't even know if the router still works. Any suggestions?

Posts: 152 | Location: Commerce Township | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
The DI-604 only has 10/100 Ethernet, but will work for your application.

From http://www.dlink.com/support/f...aspx?question=DI-604

Step 1 Upgrade to the latest firmware.

How do I upgrade my firmware?

Step 2 Take a paperclip and perform a hard reset. With unit on, use a paperclip and hold down the reset button on the back of the unit for 10 seconds. Release it and the router will recycle, the lights will blink, and then stabilize.

Step 3 After the router stabilizes, open your web browser (Internet Explorer, Netscape, etc), enter 192.168.0.1 into the address window, and hit the Enter key. When the password dialog box appears, enter the username admin and leave the password blank. Click OK.

If the password dialog box does not come up repeat Step 2.

Note: Do not run Wizard.

Step 4 Click on the WAN tab on left-hand side of the screen. Select PPPoE.

Step 5 Select Dynamic PPPoE (unless your ISP supplied you with a static IP address).

Step 6 For Earthlink users, under the username field enter ELN/username@earthlink.net and your password, where username is your own username (some Earthlink users may not need the ELN/ in front of username).

For SBC Global users, enter username@sbcglobal.net.
For Ameritech users, enter username@ameritech.net.
For BellSouth users, enter username@bellsouth.net.**
For most other ISPs, enter username.

**Note: In some areas, BellSouth may not use PPPoE. If you receive a dynamic IP address, please read here for setup instructions.

Ameritech users: If you cannot connect, try entering just the username (without the @ameritech.com) and then put ameritech.net in the Service Name box.

Step 7 Maximum Idle Time should be set to zero. Set MTU to 1492, unless specified by your ISP, and set Autoreconnect to Enabled.

Note: If you experience problems accessing certain websites and/or email issues, please set the MTU to a lower number such as 1472, 1452, etc. Contact your ISP for more information and the proper MTU setting for your connection.

Step 8 Click Apply. When prompted, click Continue. Once the screen refreshes, unplug the power to the D-Link router.

Step 9 Turn off your DSL modem for 2-3 minutes. Turn back on. Once the modem has established a link to your ISP, plug the power back into the D-Link router. Wait about 30 seconds and log back into the router.

Step 10 Click on the Status tab in the web configuration where you can view the device info. Under WAN, click Connect. Click Continue when prompted. You should now see that the device info will show an IP address, verifying that the device has connected to a server and has been assigned an IP address.

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this information. If it does not work should I assume the router is dead, and if so what should i consider to replace it?Wired or Wireless?I know the Airport products are easiest to set up, but also more expensive. I'm retired. My goal is to use the Mac Mini to download programs from the internet to view on HDTV.

Posts: 152 | Location: Commerce Township | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Buy another D-Link router if this one is dead. Using an Airport Extreme would be easy but if you are on a budget, stick with D-Link. Wired is the better way to go since it will be faster than wireless.

Check Apple's website for a refurbished Airport Extreme, might be able to find a good deal there.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2119 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Hi James and Dave. Just found a Buffalo Nfiniti
802.11N at DealMac for $35 including shipping. It can be set up wired or wireless-it the G300NH model. For the price I don't think I'll even fool with the out of production D link.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
G300NH

There is new firmware for the WZR-HP-G300NH as of October 15.

Firmware V1.65:
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.co.../wzrhpg300nh-165.zip

Update Instructions:
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.co.../howto_update_ap.htm

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Thanks again. I'll be sure to upgrade before I create my network. I'm getting excited. Within a week I'll be able to watch TV downloaded from the internet on my 52" Sharp.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Q for James R. Cutler-the software update you posted for the Buffalo is a zipped exe file? Do you upgrade on a Windows machine? Maacs don't run exe files, do they?

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
I have raised this issue with Buffalo Tech support. Most other vendors that do not support the Mac or other OSs do not deliberately obstruct users by providing Windows .exe files. Even Linksys, in the many years that they beligerently did not support Mac, provided the plain binary firmware file that could be used to update via almost any browser on almost any OS.

Specifically to the WZR-HP-G300NH, I have expanded the .exe file and then made the zip archive that Buffalo Tech should have provided. It is too big to upload to the iBBS. I could give it to you on a USB stick at the meeting if that would help.

Also, for this product, the tech I spoke with suggested that the device itself has an online update capability. You can try to find this in the manual or via the management screens.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James R. Cutler,