Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Road Warrior - Gear for the Road SIG    17" MacBook Pro introduced
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

17" MacBook Pro introduced
 Login/Register

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted
Apple introduced the 17" MacBook Pro today.
It will start shipping next week for $2,799.

It will have the 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo processor....667MHz front side bus....and 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 2GB.

Graphics card...ATI’s Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics chip with 256MB of dedicated GDDR3 graphics memory.

Read more at MacCentral

Apple's website for MacBookPro info

Go AAPL ..... :-)

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Michele
AIM: Online Status For michele955
posted Hide Post
Yup been waiting for it. Excellent.

Posts: 243 | Location: Waterford, MI USA | Registered: June 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
With a 800 Firewire port!!!!!

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2102 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
AND 8x DL DVD drive. They put back everything but S-video (available with an adaptor), the PC Card slot (replaced with ExpressCard) and the modem (available externally on one of the three USB ports). Mine's on order!

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I ain't impressed.

After seeing the top-of-the-line laptop that Alienware offers, the new "PowerBook" should definitely have had more POWER (read: options)! People are abuzz about Windows working on a Mac; I'd love to have a Mac work on a Win-based book. Yeah, I said it.

Configure one and see for yourself... I'd be more expensive, but I'd pay to have something like this running Tiger.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arrakian,

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
OK, I did. To get close with the AlienWare, it costs $3622. My new MacBook Pro (ugh - what a name) is $3448 (both prices before tax). But the AlienWare has an AMD processor - better in desktops, not as good portable.

This was bumping up the processor to the lowest-end dual core (I have no idea how it relates to the Intel 2.16), and setting all the other options as close as I could get them. You did bump up the 40 GB hard drive and moved up to Win XP Pro (so you could use the dual processors - Home won't) right?

The AlienWare does have a built in media reader and dual optical drives. I haven't ever needed dual optical drives on my laptops, but the media reader would be nice. Still, I can buy those for $25. The secondary hard drive port *is* a big plus. But the unit is heavy - *starting* at 10 lbs! No battery life given at all.

No FW 800 port - I use one with my backups all the time. No optical in/out. It does have S-video and DVI, parallel, serial and TV-in.

So while it's certainly more configureable, to get all the same stuff (and I do use most if not all of it) is no bargain. None of this even counts the software I'd have to buy that comes with a Mac.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
Something else to consider is that Alienware is owned by Dell (recent purchase) and Dell's reputation for support is lousy (I have experienced their poor support first hand).

Posts: 77 | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
My video guys at work use Alienware laptops (luggables) and they use them mainly because of the speed to show FULL HD EDITING.

However, as a laptop for general use they SUCK!
Here's why:
They are BIG
They are HEAVY
Battery life is about 20-30 minutes (not an exaggeration)

Alienware laptops are for people that need desktop computing power in a package that they can more easily carry from one location to another. Even for my guys at work that have them, they are NOT their primary laptops for the reasons I stated above. They are primarily demo machines to be used at shows and at clients.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
Terry
Big is no problem.heavy isn't either, but 20-30 minutes on battery power?!!!

I don't really use my TiBook without the power cord, except to cycle the battery occasionally. I mainly like the Alienware for the two HD and two optical drive options. I guess I could use two opticals more than most. Also, being able to do Full HD Editing on a "portable Desktop" is great.

Jack
The lowest dual core is a 2.2 GHz, System Bus Speed=2000 MHz, & Level 2 Cache=2 x 512KB. I don't have to have FW800, but it would be nice. I dig the AlienWare, not for being comparable to a MacBook, but what it offers beyond the Mac's specs.

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of KC
posted Hide Post
Yikes, now the only new powerbook you can buy is the dinky 12-incher.

"Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end." - from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Posts: 573 | Location: Rochester Hills | Registered: June 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there's still many in the pipeline at 3rd party retailers - and there's lots of refurbs available.

===

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
You can still buy a 17" Powerbook at all the normal retail locations too!

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2102 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Does the Alienware laptop have the EFI feature? If not, an Alienware laptop will suddenly become obsolete this Fall (with the introduction of Vista).

LCD's will change substantially this Fall, creating more accurate colors (fewer missing wavelengths).

I suspect that laptops will have more features of the forthcoming media centers, which are still very much in development.

Intel Merom processors will probably be available Q3 2006 in Apple MacBook Pro's.

The ExpressCard/34 replaces the PCMCIA slot - I'm sure more products will be available soon.

DL layer DVD's are an interim standard. I'm not impressed by them, and I believe they have numerous reliability and interoperability issues. Blu-Ray drives may be available (i.e., affordable) in laptops by Spring 2007. Apple might surprise us this Fall with a Blu-Ray laptop drive. Blu-Ray is "essential" for HD movies.

There's also the hidden issue of quality components. I don't know of any major PC builder using quality components. While Steve Wozniak would debate my next point, I think Apple still uses first-rate components.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck M,

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You must not have heard - Vista will not support EFI on 32 bit chips. Yet another feature jettisoned in an attempt to get XP SP 3 out the door in our lifetimes.

http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6048250.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jack Beckman,

===

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Windows expert (even though I use it more intensely than most people). I know a Windows expert that claims that Vista is basically Windows XP service pack 3. No quantum leaps in security improvements, and still DOS under the hood. It'll have a lot of added window dressing, and your favorite application commands will be renamed and moved where you can't find them. And, it will have a 10,001 bugs until Vista SP2 (er, Windows XP SP 5) arrives.

When you say jettisoned, Jack, DO you mean jettisoned like the Walt Disney movie, "Around the World in 80 Days?" They were always throwing stuff out of balloons, or burning everything combustible on the steamship. Do you think we can ask David Letterman to jettison a Windows Vista disk out the rear stage balconey?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
That's precisely what I mean. MS made noise about supporting EFI for a long time, then just this year announced it would only be for 64 bit chips.

There actually will be changes in security - more like OS X, where even if you are an admin you will have to enter a password. however, even Paul Thurott, MS lover, thinks Vista is a pile of garbage:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5308_05.asp

Since I can't get Vista to load on my work machine (it chokes during install) I can't say anything about it first-hand. Maybe I'll see if I can get it to load under Parallels.

===

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
There's a fundamental architectural problem with Windows, according to my friend, the Windows expert.

Unlike Unix, where the kernal is relatively protected from "tampering," Windows opened everything up to everyone. Everyone that was truly knowledgeable about writting software could creat a problem, like viruses. Microsoft has had a great deal of difficulty closing all the ports, vulnerabilities, and accesses.

Microsoft has been unwilling, or unable, to rewrite Windows - so security problems will persist. 50% of the problem is Microsoft's fault, and 30% is a result of unscrupulous "suppliers," like Double Click. 20% of the problem is a public unwilling to learn and act responsibly.

The world should boycott Windows. Sink Microsoft stock until they act responsibly.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
The kernel problem lies mostly in device drivers, and started with Win NT 4 (Win NT 3.51 actually was designed to avoid these problems). In order to get decent speed out of the video drivers, drivers were allowed to access the "protected" area of the OS.

Closing the ports is a different matter - they're afraid of breaking "old" code. So they try not to change the crappy defaults they chose years ago for convenience over safety.

===

Jedi Knight
Picture of Michele
AIM: Online Status For michele955
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived today, Shaun's is a day behind. It runs smooooth. It came a week ahead of schedule.

Posts: 243 | Location: Waterford, MI USA | Registered: June 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post