Find
Notify
Tools

DVI out of MacBooks
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted
Do MacBooks produce analog or digital DVI output signals?

Is it even possible on any of the new Intel Macs, desktop or laptops, to produce digital DVI output? Does one need a special graphics card, and are digital DVI graphics available for the PCIe bus?

Thanks.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
From the Apple Cinema Display web page "Digital":

"Apple displays are a perfect companion for your new Mac Pro. And now it’s even easier to use one as a second display for your MacBook Pro, MacBook, iMac, or Mac mini — or even your PC. Using a pure digital signal over an industry-standard DVI connector, Apple flat-panel displays deliver the maximum visual quality possible."

The mac Pro isn't listed, but as it also connects to ACDs, it must also use digital DVI.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
I found a page on Apple's site that states: Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter $19

The Mini-DVI to DVI adapter is designed for the iMac (Intel Core Duo), MacBook, and 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- allowing you to connect to an external DVI monitor. It can also be used in combination with the Apple DVI to ADC adapter to support older Apple flat panel Studio or Cinema Displays.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleS...F16B&nplm=M9321G%2FB

===========
The Cinema Displays have me confused. Does Apple periodically update the technology without changing model names? I thought they used to be 400:1 contrast ratio. Today found a page that states the 23" is 700:1

I'm in the market for a flat-panel, and some of the ones shown in the stores with Wintel machines are gorgeous - and much less cost than Apple. Purchased an ADC to DVI adapter at the CompUSA going out of sale, as I have a 2002 desktop with the ADC connector.

Where is the monitor thing going these days? Trying to sort it out.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
The contrast ratio may have been updated on the 23", but it was originally something like 450:1. Apple's competitors were bringing out higher contrast ratios for some time, before Apple decided to increase contrast. Contrast ratio isn't the primary factor to be concerned with on displays. Try to get a side-by-side comparison of monitors - it's quite difficult. ADC connectors won't be used in the future. DVI-I connectors may also be phased on MacBooks and Mac Pros. It's more mechanically robust than HDMI, but doesn't carry audio signals.

Where is the monitor going these days? I think LCD's will be around for awhile. The best LCD's will be backlit with LED's, either white or RGB. Sony, Samsung, NEC-Mitsubishi, and Panasonic have all shown LED-backlighting, and customer reviews say the color is good before calibration, and much better after calibration. Apple will sell these for PhotoShop users.

I don't think SED's & OLED's will be successful in monitors or TV's. I think a lot of people are looking at dual monitor-TV's for a variety of reasons: cost, computer-media convergence, games, etc. I think plasma sales will decline. I think 16:9 and 16:10 monitors will be important. 4:3 monitors will disappear. I think it is important to buy a monitor with an integral ATC tuner and an HDMI connector. I think 1080p displays will become important in a couple years. I think it's important to buy a monitor that can be profiled or calibrated, and has a native HDTV resolution (720p, 1980i, or 1080p). Other resolutions might possibly be problematic (too much conversion and cropping).

It's probably a bit early to buy a monitor/TV, unless you can sell it in a year or two. Apple is heavily discounting its Cinema Displays, & probably clearing them for the next product. The next product will probably be a TV-monitor with many of the features described above.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck M,

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Chuck - RE "Apple will sell these for PhotoShop users"
Do you mean the Apple stores, or the online store will offer other lines of monitor in addition to their own?

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo: Apple and its reseller network will sell them. They'll be expensive, like the Cinema displays, but will have wider application. Monitors and HDTV's will merge soon. You'll be more capable of watching TV on the monitor, or using it as a computer monitor. Apple's new monitors will be sold for color-minded users (particularly graphics artists and photographers), but other users will buy them also.

We are about to see radical changes in the hardware offered by all computer manufacturers. We'll see more change than we have already seen this year. Apple is foremost a hardware company, and they only offer software as an enticement so customers buy Apple hardware. Hardware is where the profit lies.

Apple will have to start selling media centers like HP and other like-minded Windows breathren. Apple sells Front Row (software), but there's essentially no hardware integrated with Front Row. That will change - soon. You'll see an Apple-branded monitor with an integrated TV-tuner very soon, and I'm guessing it will be backlit with LED's (which Samsung says gives us 164% of the NTSC spectrum). Your MacBook or Mac Pro will be a TiVo, and a media provider-recorder-modifier-broadcaster. What Apple did with the iPod, they'll do with video. The computer companies and media companies want pervasive (invasive?) media all the time. They want pervasive revenue streams. Our lives will begin to look like some of the sci-fi movie thrillers (kinda like Jonathan Pryce in "Tomorrow Never Dies," a megalomaniac media mogul; or Richard Dawson in "The Running Man").

I suspect the delay in LED illuminated LCD TV's revolves around a number of problems, not the least of which is the LED's. Most LED prototype TV's used RGB LED's. I think manufacturers are trying to make a transition to white LED's.

Other probable hardware changes in upcoming Apple offerings:
1. HDMI connectors, rather than DVI connectors
2. HD-DVD burners
3. LED backlights in MacBook Pro's
4. Perhaps a remote possibility: fiberoptic I/O
5. Improved (more integrated, more capable) remote controllers for the system (monitor, computer, sound system)

See attachment to understand TV color space, and human vision color space.

I also expect Apple to introduce more capable media software than they're currently offering. I think Adobe is starting to make inroads a little bit too deeply into Apple's territory.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Chuck, Re "We are about to see radical changes in the hardware offered by all computer manufacturers."

Does this mean those of us with older but very adequate computers should hurry up & get today's hardware, before it disappears and is replaced by newer technology with ports we can't access?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Like cars depreciating off the lot as you drive them away, computers are obsolete before you get them home. I wouldn't worry about it - if it's doing the job you want it to do, then you're set.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I think you should wait for the new hardware. There have been a lot of delays getting new technology to market. To name just a few: HD-DVD, HDTV terrestrial broadcasts, 801.11n WiFi, LED backlighting, etc., etc.

Nevertheless, you will see new MacBooks before July 1 next next year. I think we've had three revisions already this year!

This was just announced today by Texas Instruments: DLP TV's with LED's

Note the Samsung HDTV above. You might notice Samsung is now offering LED backlights. [I think Samsung is making Apple's Cinema Displays.]

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Will mull it all over.
(Oh for the days when we just bought stuff & plugged it in and it worked!)

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Most of it still does.

===

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Jack - You're right. Sometimes the challenge is just knowing what to plug in where.

(Sorry! - The changing TV technologies are our current "challenge." After all, our 20-yr. old TV is destined to go sooner or later.)