Find
Notify
Tools

Keyboard covers
 Login/Register

Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted
Well we had our first accident at the office involving liquids on a Powerbook keyboard. Easily replaced the keyboard but who has the best keyboard skin?

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
I have been traveling with the skin sold at the Apple store on my MacBook Pro. It has done a good job of keeping water, dust, and bugs out of the keyboard. The only disadvantage is difficulty in reading keycap symbols at a shallow angle through the skin.

The traveler beside me at the SJO airport has a MacBook Pro with the same keyboard skin.

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
thanks Jim

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
The apple store online carries these, which are custom molded to particular models:
iSkin ProTouch Keyboard Protector for MacBook
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?spart=TK035LL%2FA

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Keyboard skins really aren't going to help with liquid spills. It doesn't cover the entire laptop. The only way to stop damage is not to have liquids around the laptop (total abstinence Frown ). The ions in water short out the electronics - permanently and very quickly. Water is wicked up through the battery compartment and other crevices - you don't have to spill liquids on the keyboard to kill your computer. I have seen complete ruination through the bottom surface in less than 2 seconds after a cup of hot tea was tipped over!

If you want to needlessly spend money on protecting your laptop, may I suggest a Space Bag?

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
While I can see the pros of a "skin" to keep harmful liquids, crumbs and the like out somewhat, aren't laptops supposed to vent through their keyboard?

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Notebook computers DO allow some venting thru the keyboard, but I believe the design is meant to pull air thru the unit rather than allow it to escape topside. Keyboard skins are great for keeping out crumbs, hair, etc. or keeping the keys clean. Absolutely a must for desktop keyboards in a workplace where any type of liquid is permitted. I am on the fence over whether or not it is a good idea for notebooks. I have witnessed more than a few MacBooks that had a moisture buildup under the skin. These were the thicker type of keyboard covering rather than the see-thru type. Of course these units were used extensively for long periods of time and carried in and out of doors frequently. (Think college students) I suggested they "air out the skin" once a week as a proactive measure.

There is no sure fire method of keeping a notebook computer dry. Moisture will find it's way in eventually Frown

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of MaryG
posted Hide Post
I use the iSkin Keyboard Protector sold by the apple store on my iMac's keyboard. I don't use it routinely because I don't keep liquids around the keyboard and find it cumbersome to use on a daily basis. I do however use it when I have a cold or when one of the kids has a cold and wash it on a daily basis. Just my little effort to stem the tide of disease.

Posts: 190 | Location: Shelby Township, Michigan | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of MaryG
posted Hide Post
I should have said that I clean it between users, which usually is once daily.

Posts: 190 | Location: Shelby Township, Michigan | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
Hey Chuck , maybe we can make a "seinfeld" episode of the bubble boy and his laptop?

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I am familiar with that episode. I think most people wanted to use a Space Bag on that kid.

It was very different from John Travolta's bubble boy and Glynnis O'Connor in "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble."

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
as long as George doesn't implode the BUBBLE