Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Road Warrior - Gear for the Road SIG    Can the 15" Retina Display MacBook Pro replace the 17" model?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can the 15" Retina Display MacBook Pro replace the 17" model?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
AIM: Online Status For macike
posted
I love and use a 17" MBPro,and I'd never be satisfied with a smaller screen,or not having an optical drive/Ethernet or FireWire! Is anyone else upset about the 17" model,and no upgradability of the Retina Display model?

Posts: 185 | Location: Southfield, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can the 15" Retina Display MacBook Pro replace the 17" model?

Only if you have Really Good Eyes or Glasses.

The resolution of the 17" MBP is 1920 x 1200 for the laptop display.

The 15" Retina displays three highest settings are.......
2880 x 1800
1920 x 1200 same as the 17" MBP
1680 x 1050

As you can see everything, will be a wee bit smaller.

Posts: 1657 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I too love the 17" MBP. It's my only computer and is used for editing all my photos. Don't know how easy it will be to adjust to a smaller screen when I need to upgrade to a newer model. Frown

Posts: 831 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
I sympathize with you, but I guess you can look at it this way. I have an Apple 30" display. Apple no longer makes it. Instead they make a 27" display that while technically smaller in size, has the same (or higher) resolution than my 30" So you'd be looking at the same coverage on screen, just slightly smaller in size.

As with ANY display, my standard advice comes to mind. Don't rely on specs, reviews, opinions of others. You have to see it with YOUR OWN EYES to know if it's right for you.

The New MacBook Pro was available and on display in the Apple Store pretty much right after the announcement and I stopped by to see it with my own eyes. I had already placed an order, but I still needed to see it!

Having used the original 17" PowerBook, I don't miss it one bit. It was always a pain to travel with compared to the 15" model. Also If I really want a bigger display at home/desk then I'd plug in a bigger display!

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6153 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping that the 17" model will be brought back, after they get more Retina Displays in the system. When they first changed to the Unibody design,the 17" wasn't re-designed at first,it followed up a few months later,as I recall. I'm really hoping that's what happens,I'd would buy another 17" and hold it first! I need all of my ports,including an expresscard slot. Apple needs Laptops for the Pros,and a "Halo" machine. They're making plenty of money on everything else.

Posts: 185 | Location: Southfield, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
I'm with Terry on this one. I never liked the 17". It gets to the point where you're asking yourself, "If I'm carrying around something this big, what's the point of having a laptop?"

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
And that's really the point, Apple IS making money everywhere else and if you look at the rest of the products (take the Mac Pro as an example) they are concentrating on products for the masses vs. a much smaller group of pros. I could be wrong, but I doubt that Apple would ever bring back the 17" model at this point. They are selling the machines that the "majority" of people want to buy. The 17", appealed only to small number (by comparison) of Pros for the reasons you stated.

Apple is a "consumer" electronics company. Look at the history of:

X-serve
Mac Pro
Final Cut Pro
Final Cut Pro Server
Shake
Color
Motion
17" Mac Book Pro
Express card slots
Firewire 800/400
RAID

The "pro" products/technologies above either get very little attention these days, have been re-made for mass appeal or have been canceled.

They have plenty of money now yes, but it's from focusing on products that they can sell to more people than spending time on products that a lot fewer people will buy.

quote:
Originally posted by Macike:
I'm hoping that the 17" model will be brought back, after they get more Retina Displays in the system. When they first changed to the Unibody design,the 17" wasn't re-designed at first,it followed up a few months later,as I recall. I'm really hoping that's what happens,I'd would buy another 17" and hold it first! I need all of my ports,including an expresscard slot. Apple needs Laptops for the Pros,and a "Halo" machine. They're making plenty of money on everything else.

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6153 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
posted Hide Post
Remember when the 13.3" Unibody MacBook came out,without FireWire or a backlit keyboard? After howls of complaints,Apple restored those two features,and added a SD card slot,and it became their best seller! That's what I'm clinging onto. They put 4 USB ports on the Mini,and had 3 USB ports on the 17" MBPro,and 2 on the 15 inch MBP. If the Design community,Creative communities,Medical,Scientific,Digital Audio and Video,STUCK WITH APPLE when they were in Dire straits,Apple has an OBLIGATION to reciprocate that loyalty! Mac sales are growing,unlike the PC industry. Nobody should expect a top-of-the-line model to sell as well as your mainstream models. Car analogy here:BMW sells more 3-series,Mercedes sells more C-class models,and Apple knows that MOST DESKTOPS aren't growing at the speed of portables. The "Halo" product produces foot-traffic and envious drools from the Customers,as most aspire to the higher-end product,while settling for the less-expensive models! Making a Laptop thinner,in exchange for giving up Ethernet,an optical drive,and FireWire,for MORE MONEY,and you can't upgrade RAM or storage,is catering to a Niche market,too! I'm just HOPING and praying,that Apple doesn't turn its back on its most loyal customers!

Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
posted Hide Post
Terry,do you see a decrease or significant reduction in the number of 17" portables in the Creative markets,in your travels? Does anyone else that travels or observes Power Users see much less of the !7' models,from Apple or any other manufacturer?

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
In my experience with Power Users, I have witnessed a trend away from the 17" MBP models. For the same money they can buy 20" iMac and 13" MBP or MBA. Cloud based storage allows access to current projects easily.

Apple doesn't have an obligation to any of the groups you mentioned. Half of those groups are moving forward with technology and taking full advantage of what the iPad can offer. Your statement reminds me of the OS9 arguements that Apple is leaving their longtime Users to die. Those people had a choice... Evolve or end up like the dinosaur. The majority of Users evolve because the products get better/do more.

It seems odd to say that Apple is producing products for the masses but they are. Like BMW however, they are putting design and function ahead of cost. This is what sets Apple apart from the rest of the computer/mobile device industries.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2119 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
The 17" MBP does not fit current airline seating. That is the most common reason I hear again and again for choosing the smaller machines.

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
posted Hide Post
So,do you feel that gaining a quarter of an inch in thinness,and a higher-resolution screen,while losing optical drive/Ethernet/FireWire connectivity,and a pound of weight,is a trade-off that you'd prefer? I think we'll be voting with our wallets and purses over the next couple of years.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
I'll probably vote one way or the other with my wallet within a month. I'm just waiting for my favorite Apple Genius to discuss the matter with me.

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
I definitely see a decrease in the number of 17" laptops (not just Macs) in general. The only ones that I know of in use are typically used by video Pros needing the connectivity you mention. However, even those numbers are declining from what I see.

Yes it's nice having FW800, GB Ethernet, etc. built-in, but as long as I have a way to get to those technologies when needed via adapters I'm good. I rarely connect my MBP to Ethernet and I do use FW800 drives on occasion, but I also have no problem going with USB 3 or Thunderbolt. New USB 3 enclosures are dirt cheap.

quote:
Terry,do you see a decrease or significant reduction in the number of 17" portables in the Creative markets,in your travels? Does anyone else that travels or observes Power Users see much less of the !7' models,from Apple or any other manufacturer?

----

Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
posted Hide Post
Terry,have you(and the other Power Users or Pros) replaced most or all of your FireWire 800,eSata,Hard-Drives or peripherals with USB 3.0 devices already? Wouldn't there still be an advantage with Target Disk Mode,not needing A/C power when using FireWire,and price advantages over USB 3.0?

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
No, not yet as I don't have the MBP RD yet. However, with the combination of USB 3, Thunderbolt and Apple's forth coming Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter, I don't envision much if any loss of functionality. Especially with the TB to FW800 adapter, you/I'll still be able to use all my existing drives.

quote:
Terry,have you(and the other Power Users or Pros) replaced most or all of your FireWire 800,eSata,Hard-Drives or peripherals with USB 3.0 devices already? Wouldn't there still be an advantage with Target Disk Mode,not needing A/C power when using FireWire,and price advantages over USB 3.0?

----

Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
posted Hide Post
To me, the SSD's seem to be overrated,considering the cost. My Hard-drive based boot-up time is 30-35 seconds. I don't boot-up often,and after booting,I simply touch a key,or the trackpad,and I'm back to work! If it has logged-out,due to inactivity,it takes no longer than the initial boot-up. I have 5 times the storage,for 20% of the cost! I guess my workflow doesn't require frequent boot-ups or frequent writing to disc,but there's no way that I could justify the cost of a SSD,as fast as my HDD performance is! What are you getting out of SSD's to justify it,in a Notebook especially?

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
<Snip/>What are you getting out of SSD's to justify it,in a Notebook especially?
1. Speed. As already noted, often 10x the performance of rotating disks.

2. Ruggedness. An SSD can work at higher altitudes than a rotating drive which requires a layer of air to fly the heads. High G forces, as from dropping or other impact, do not affect an SSD while a conventional drive could be fatally damaged.

3. Size. An SSD may be much smaller for the same capacity.

4. Power. No moving parts means no power required to move physical things.

5. Heat. No moving parts means no power required to move physical things. All that power eventually translates to heat.

-

Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
posted Hide Post
Thank you,I guess for some,those advantages out-weigh cost. Those are good,solid,advantages that you can benefit from,today. Do you see the same for the SuperDrive,right now? Even though I download,and stream Movies and CD's,I still burn CD's and watch DVD's.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
... Do you see the same for the SuperDrive,right now? ...
No. Anecdotal evidence tells me usefulness of a SuperDrive is negligible for the cost.

Today, you can easily put 2 to 4 virtual DVDs on one SD card. Even more for the same price as the cost of high capacity SD cards continues to decline. If you really need portable media or don't want to clutter up internal storage on your mac, you can put a rather large library of virtual DVDs in your pocket.

If you assume that BluRay disks are a viable media, that still does not make the SuperDrive useful - it can't read them. So you need an external BluRay drive anyway. You can get an external burner for about $100. It would work for CDs and DVDs as well.

If I get a MacBook Pro with an optical drive, it would not be for the optical drive. I just don't need Retina display for a service support machine and I would rather spend the money on larger and faster internal storage. I might even replace the optical drive with something from OWC.

Now if I was a photographer shooting tethered with a DSLR, I would get the Retina Display MacBook Pro and would take Hobson's choice on the optical drive.