Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Road Warrior - Gear for the Road SIG    Can the 15" Retina Display MacBook Pro replace the 17" model?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can the 15" Retina Display MacBook Pro replace the 17" model?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
AIM: Online Status For macike
posted Hide Post
I've never really spent the extra money to bring Blu-Ray to my Laptops or desktop Macs. I save that for my TV. I always weigh cost vs. performance,and there is almost always a trade-off. To each his own,but I choose Macs/IOS-devices for their balance of Performance,ease-of-use,battery-life,elegance,longevity,reliabilty,etc... The Apple device may not always have the best specs,best graphics card,or the most RAM,but overall the total product is more than the sum of its parts. SSD's have data-corruption issues and longevity concerns,just like hard-drives have latency or shock-issues. If I drop my Notebook,an SSD is not expected to save me,anymore than a suuden drop sensor on a spinning hard drive. I'd be more concerned about screen damage than my hard drive being shocked! I believe in the law of diminishing returns,and I wouldn't dream of spending $1,200 on a 960GB SSD! I could get a regular Corvette for $50,000 that'll do 170 mph,and I could buy a ZR-1 Corvette for $100,000 that'll get to 100 mph two seconds faster! Is it worth to you? It's up to the individual;thank God that we still have a choice!

Posts: 185 | Location: Southfield, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Macike
AIM: Online Status For macike
posted Hide Post
The new,Retina-Display MacBook Pro,reportedly has not Kensington Lock slot. Is this a problem for any of you Notebook users? Would it be a Deal-Killer for you?

Posts: 185 | Location: Southfield, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post