Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Road Warrior - Gear for the Road SIG    Can you recommend a GPS unit?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you recommend a GPS unit?
 Login/Register

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
I've never had an issue with the Web Updater. As a matter of fact I just used it earlier this evening with no problems.

As far as Geocaching goes, I've never investigated it for the Garmin. So if there is or isn't a Mac solution, I would have to defer to the folks that have already looked into it. For Geocaching I've been using the Sony unit. Worse case scenario I'm sure the update could be applied via Boot Camp on an intel Mac.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Here's an article on using the Nüvi to do Geocaching with a Mac.

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
AIM: Online Status For hocachynikxxxxx
posted Hide Post
I thought I saw this talked about earlier in the discussion on GPS's but now cant find it so I'll ask again. If I dont want to mount the GPS to the windshield or dashboard with a suction cup (which leaves a tell-tale mark for thieves to see), what are my options- do any local stores sell a holder that wont leave a mark on the dashboard? Also, the only way to charge the GPS is to put it in the windshield mount then plug it into the cigarete lighter- so if i dont use the mount, how to I charge the GPS unit?

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Map updates do cost. However, many manufacturers give you the FIRST update for FREE if you've had it for less than 12 months before the next update. After that you would then pay for map updates (if you wanted them). Not sure what the cost would be since mine was free it didn't give me the price.

----

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
With the TomTom you buy a new map and download it into the unit if you want one.

My TomTom charging cable can go into the wall charger or a USB port to charge. It also came with a cigarette lighter plug with a cord, and I usually plug it in when driving, because the battery life is poor.

The only mounts I can find are the suction cup and the dash mount, so I usually just lay it on the dash in a cup holder, because neither of those works for me.

Terry showed a very cool bean bag mount for the Garmin in the blog posting he listed earlier. I want to check that out and see if I could use it with the TomTom.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Garmin offers a friction mount (bean bag) that just sits on the dash. The USB auto charger connects through the back of the mount. This mount leaves no marks and when you leave the car you just pick it up and take it with you or put it out of sight.

quote:
Originally posted by Rick:
I thought I saw this talked about earlier in the discussion on GPS's but now cant find it so I'll ask again. If I dont want to mount the GPS to the windshield or dashboard with a suction cup (which leaves a tell-tale mark for thieves to see), what are my options- do any local stores sell a holder that wont leave a mark on the dashboard? Also, the only way to charge the GPS is to put it in the windshield mount then plug it into the cigarete lighter- so if i dont use the mount, how to I charge the GPS unit?

----

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
My review of the Navigon 2100 is here.

----

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Rick
AIM: Online Status For hocachynikxxxxx
posted Hide Post
And speaking of GPS's- will it harm the electronics to leave it in the car overnight(s) when it is freezing (or when its steaming hot too)? I leave my radar detector in the car with no problem and was hoping I could leave the GPS in the car too (its hidden in the glove box by the way). Thanks, Rick

Posts: 621 | Location: Southfield | Registered: January 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
I would judge the risk from overheating and theft are about the same.

The only risk from cold is condensation which is like pouring water on the electronics. This applies to all electronic gadgets. This is why low temperature specifications often include the phrase "non-condensing".

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Check your operators manual for temperature range.

LCD's freeze below 32˚F, unless wide range types are used. LCD dyes can change with heat - it can easily hit 150˚F in a car in the summertime in most parts of the world - and probably 160˚F in some areas (like Florida, Arizona, or Death Valley). Even the trunk gets that hot. Most consumer electronics (transistor PN junctions) are rated for 70˚C (158˚F) - often less than the LCD range. The operating temperature range is always less the storage range.

Theft is rapidly increasing across America. Your insurance company may not pay a claim if they can prove carelessness. There's no point in trolling for trouble.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Sorry for this blizzard of questions. They've been hibernating for a long time.

Do some GPS systems have topographic map features?

Do some GPS systems have Google map features (switching between map and satellite views)?

Has anyone tried James Associates products?

Is a MacBook screen bright enough to be useful in a car (indirect sunlight)?

Are the GPS screens bright enough for use in full sunlight?

With the advent of MacTel computers, is it just easier to run GPS laptop software with Windows?

Thanks.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Navigon (from the online manual)
Operating temperature: -10C to 60C
Storage temperature: -20c to 70c
Humidity: 1% to 90% non-precipitating (it states the unit is NOT waterproof).

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Junebug Clark
AIM: Online Status For JBPhoto
posted Hide Post
I have two TomTom's. Had them for a couple of years now.

The TomTom has Mac software that let's you add some free voices or buy some voices if you'd like. Also updates to Points of Interest were free.

The same software is used to install firmware updates. They have been free and have added some nice features.

Updated Maps cost around $50 and came on a DVD. It added some streets that weren't in the previous version, updated roads that were changed (new freeway exits etc) and contained some map corrections.

The maps that came with the TomToms (I have a model 300 and a 700 for my wife) were fine and included USA Canada and Mexico. The update DVD was the same area.

I built my own TomTom mount and have it installed near my review mirror and up against the roof and wired it so that it is powered with hidden power cord. That way it can't be seen from the outside and I leave it in my vehicle every day, all year, all kinds of weather. No Problems. Also, I don't have to take my eyes off the road for a very long time when I'm confused and looking for direction. Lori, that my TomTom's voice, is real good at giving directions, but sometimes you need to take a quick glance to see what's up ahead. You can view crazy intersections and freeway exits to understand that you're taking the middle of a three way road split and it's marked "US54EB". I can remember driving an unfamiliar road on a moonless night and taking comfort in the TomTom showing me that the black road ahead was bearing to the left up ahead. Or how nice it was to be able to call someone and say, "I'm headed you way and should be there around 2:18 PM". Or, the time I was low on gas and the TomTom told me that the next gas station was 36 miles ahead. Oh why didn't I turn on the Gas Station Points of Interest earlier???? Or, sittin' in the car with my wife and sayin' You want to try some place different to eat tonight? Turn on "Restaurants Near Your Location" and let's drive around until we find something interesting. This feature works near home or where ever you may find yourself. Last but not least... I can't explain how comforting it is to be at the end of the day at some strange location and hit "Navigate-> Home" and sit back and relax while Lori and the TomTom takes you home.

A push of the button releases it from its charged mount and I can plug it in to my mac via USB and back it up and check for updates.

It's hard to explain until you have and use a GPS Navigator, but who ever thought you would need power door locks.

I'll never be without one from now on.

Jb.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Junebug Clark,

Junebug Clark / Denton, TX
pictures that tell a story

Posts: 330 | Location: Denton, TX- USA | Registered: July 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting comparison review of 3 major brands.

This review focuses mainly on which unit provides the best route. We know that this is important, but not everything that should be considered. However, at the end of the day the route IS probably what matters most (if not in the top 5 things you would want it to really be good at).

----

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Well I got a Navigon 1200 on black Friday with the Traffic option. I've been playing with it ever since. I am astounded with how fast it can pick up the signal and recalculate your route if you go off from what it is suggesting. I actually have two units (one for a present) and I went out last night with each turned on--one to "shortest route" and one to "fastest route". I followed the shortest route which I actually would not have ever taken (because I didn't realize that that was shorter than the way I usually go to that place. As I turned the other unit caught up with what I had done almost immediately and changed its instructions to match.

However, the tiny little instruction leaflet included in the box is practically worthless. the online pdf manual (99 pages!) is a must. Navigon uses Navteq.

If there is anyone out there who got one of these on black Friday at Staples and has since changed his/her mind and is going to get a different one for any reason, I'd take it off your hands. I really like mine.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Boy, you sold us.

Posts: 420 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
My Navigon 2100 arrived from Staples today, been putting in destinations tonight, looking forward to trying it out tomorrow!

I was going to give this to my parents for Christmas, but my brother lives close to them and has a Garmin and we decided it would be better to get them a Garmin also so he can show them how to use it and help them with it.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bibo:
My Navigon 2100 arrived from Staples today, been putting in destinations tonight, looking forward to trying it out tomorrow!

Do read the pdf manual. Yours may have a charge right out of the box, but you have to hold the button down for a full 6 seconds before it turns on. and you are supposed to charge it up before first use. It says in the manual it may take up to 15 minutes to lock in a signal. I think mine took about 2 minutes originally and now it is under 10-15 seconds. I had it in the house in my front window. (I have a car charger to AC plug adapter, so I can plug goodies that only come with car chargers in to the power in the house. It's very small and only cost me about $5 online. The only drawback I have found, and this would apply to any of them, is that I have absolutely no flat surfaces big enough for the suction cup except the windshield. I have a PT Cruiser. However, it gets fine reception down by the cup holders. I can jerry rig it by propping it in the passenger-side grab handle, but I think I will get a short bungie cord if I want to use it there, rather than the windshield. Minnesota and California don't allow anything on the windshield. You don't really need to look at it. The spoken instructions a very clear and given in plenty of time. Mine came with the $99 traffic real-time lifetime option, but I haven't activated that and tried it yet. I would still love to get another, but at the same $99 WITH traffic option price I got at Staples Black Friday. Fat chance!

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
That's good to know about Minnesota, I'm going to a family reunion in July.

I activated the traffic service, but it only covers Detroit in MI.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
It says in the manual that Traffic Service is only available where the data is actually available, and I suspect that is only major metro areas.