Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Road Warrior - Gear for the Road SIG    Axiotron Modbook OS X Tablet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Axiotron Modbook OS X Tablet
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted

Axiotron finally ships Modbook OS X Tablet

quote:
Posted Jan 1st 2008 10:10AM by Evan Blass
Filed under: Tablet PCs

Welcome to 2008, readers, and if Axiotron's announcement that its long-awaited Modbook is finally shipping -- several weeks ahead of schedule -- is any indication, it looks to be a good year indeed for consumer electronics fans. First unveiled nearly a year ago at Macworld 2007, the MacBook-based, Wacom-modified Modbook has definitely seen its share of delays, although in the days and months since, the 13.3-inch slate has gained the distinction of being one of the few pieces of non-Cupertino, Apple-approved hardware. The world's first OS X tablet can be yours immediately starting at $2,290.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of janp
posted Hide Post
fast forward to the last presentation about the tablet,,,you can write on it and it transforms the text to print

http://www.forbes.com/video/?video=fvn/tech/km_coolest011708

Posts: 1057 | Location: dearbon,MI , USA | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Writing copy and turning into type is built-in to OS X via Inkwell. This program has been around since the early 90's because of the Apple Newton.

Wacom tablets can take advantage of this technology!

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2101 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
I played with it at Macworld and um, sorry there is no way I would want one of these.

The problem is that if you want to input text, you would either have to use the pen and write (this relies on Apple's Ink Well (old Newton) technology) OR you would have to use a USB or Bluetooth keyboard which defeats the purpose of a tablet.

Don't get me wrong, I really got pretty good at writing on my Newton back in the day, but those were small amounts of text. I couldn't imagine writing this post using inkwell.

Imagine everything you typed in the last 24 hours: emails, URLs in your browser, passwords, etc. and having to write them and hope that the computer could interpret your handwriting correctly.

If this product is really going to be successful, it needs an on screen keyboard. Otherwise it will continue to be a niche product aimed at artists that want to draw or Photoshop users wanting to do retouching. In its current form it's not good enough to replace a laptop or desktop computer or for general computing use.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
The first place I saw this was in an artist mag, so I think the main goal was for it to be an artist's canvas; the "all-in-one" feature is primarily to avoid the "dongle" feeling of being tethered to an external computer (if one only used a Wacom tablet)

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post