Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Road Warrior - Gear for the Road SIG    Core 2 Duo MacBookPro's!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Core 2 Duo MacBookPro's!!!
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted
All I can say is visit www.apple.com ...

Ohhhh Mama!

Can you say 200 gig HD in a Notebook???
(Yes, I know it's 4200 rpm)

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2115 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of DigiMike
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any thoughts about matte vs. glossy screens for the new macbook pro?

Posts: 451 | Location: Grosse Pointe | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
I have the 15" Glossy now and I like it. I can't really say that it's that different because the MacBook Pro screen is so much brighter than my PowerBook G4.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
200GB sounds great, but keep in mind that this is a 4200RPM drive (ie. SLOW). As much as I would love the extra space, I wouldn't want the performance hit. I would stick with the 160GB drive for now.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
All I can say is visit www.apple.com ...

Ohhhh Mama!

Can you say 200 gig HD in a Notebook???
(Yes, I know it's 4200 rpm)

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
The killer feature of the new MacBook Pros isn't the 200GB drive. It's the fact that you can now have 3GB of RAM! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other noteworthy improvements include:
Firewire 800 comes back on the 15" YEAH!!!!
Dual Layer burning comes back on the 15"

----

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'd love 3 GB of RAM. The changes to the 15" are really great, bringing back to where it belongs instead of being an overpriced MacBook.

I also agree that I would never use a 4200 rpm drive.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Firewire 800 comes back on the 15" YEAH!!!!
Dual Layer burning comes back on the 15"

Makes ya wonder what chowder-head made the decision to get rid of those in the first place.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Regarding screens: I've checked them out, and I prefer the matte screen for word processing & general usage. The glossy screen offers greater contrast and color saturation.

The matte screen reflects less glare. Glare may or may not be a factor for image processing - it depends on your environment and mindset. An ardent graphics professional might possibly control ambient lighting, and possibly wear a black smock or T-shirt to reduce glare on the screen. There are so many environments and types of "graphics" vocations (e.g., the consumate presenter vs. advertising vs. web master) that the graphics operator would have to apply their needs to the best screen choice.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Regarding Screens: As the backlight brightness drops, a matte screen is obscured by light from any direction. The glossy screen can usually be oriented to avoid specific sources. If you sit with your back to a window, glossy wins.

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
I have a glossy screen MacBook........very happy with it. I will never buy a matte screen again.

Go AAPL ..... :-)

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Did you notice this new WiFi feature on MacBooks?

Pre-n Hardware Built-in

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post