Find
Notify
Tools

Movies to IPod
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted
Going on vacation I had spent many days downloading movies with the help of Handbrake so I could watch them on my fifth generation iPOD while on my trip.

The movies are on iTunes but not on the iPod. What did I do wrong?

Posts: 456 | Location: Dearborn Heights | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
After you put them in iTunes, did you connect your iPod and copy them to your iPod from iTunes? Do they show up in iTunes as Movies in the Movie category?

Posts: 2285 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
2 things

1st) Are they selected in iTunes to sync to your iPod?

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
2) How did you RIP them in handbrake? They need to be ripped as "iPod High-Rez" (for viewing on TV) or "iPod Low-Rez" (for viewing on iPod only).

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Isn't the lo-res for the iPod video (5th gen) and the hi-res for the iPhone and Touch?

Posts: 2285 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Actually the Handbrake presets have been updated to be much more clear and produce smaller files and better quality.

Click on the little action wheel at the bottom of the preset window and choose "Update Built-in Presets" (this will not disturb any custom ones you've made) and your presets will be updated to the latest and greatest ones in the Handbrake 0.9.3.

For example, the original Apple TV preset didn't bring over the 5.1 surround sound properly, so I made my own. Now it does, so I can use theirs which produces a smaller file too.

You can either use the one called iPod for a 320x240 movie or Universal for a 640x480 movie. Your choice depending on what else you might watch it on. If it's an iPhone or iPod touch, of course use those settings.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

hb

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Elaine
posted Hide Post
Yes to Donna
Yes to Bibo except I choose to Preset iPod Low-Rez
My movies showed up in iTunes although greyed-out when I updated to the iPod. They would not mount to the iPod.
Terry--I am using Handbrake 0.9.1 because I have a Power PC not Intel which I had forgotten to mention but I still clicked on the wheel.
The only mistake that I can see is I hadn't clicked on Low-Rez iPod which the average bitrate changed to 700 instead of 1500, if that makes a difference.

I am copying another movie now. This movie is copying in 6 hours instead of 12 hours.

Posts: 456 | Location: Dearborn Heights | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
There is s a version of 0.9.3 for PowerPC now. I'm using it on a PowerMac G5.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post