Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Road Warrior - Gear for the Road SIG    iSync Compatible Cell Phones
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iSync Compatible Cell Phones
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted
I'm in the market for a new cell phone and I really like the Nokia 5300.

So I checked out Apples list of iSync Compatible Devices and the 5300 is not listed.

However, I've been told that if the phone accepts certain file formats from Address Book (VCF) and iCal (ICS), that I could transfer the files manually via Bluetooth. But I've had trouble with Bluetooth with a Samsung t609 not tranfering to my Mac at all, and I don't want the same thing to happen again with the Nokia.

Does anyone have any experience or advise with this senario?

"Where's the RAM."

Posts: 173 | Location: Detroit | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that it will accept these formats from the computer (and vise-versa) but it does not sync, it is all manual.

My hands-down all-time favorite phones is my Razr. it syncs just flawlessly. Cingular service.

Keep in mind, your provider, on top of the phones capabilities, my not allow you to use all of your Bluetooth capabilities.

Linda

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
I now have a RAZR as well (still use the Treo 650 for business travel by simply moving the SIM card over) because I got sick of lack luster Bluetooth on the Treo. The RAZR was a night and day improvement over the 650 in terms of Bluetooth compatibility. It works with EVERYTHING Bluetooth that I've thrown at it (MacBook Pro/iSync, headsets, car kits, etc.)
However, I absolutely can't stand the way MOTO handles contacts (I knew this going in, but I can still complain about it can't I?).

Instead of:

Joe Schmo
H 248-555-1111
W 248-555-2222
C 248-555-3333
joe@schmo.com

MOTO gives you:
Joe Schmo 248-555-1111 H
Joe Schmo 248-555-2222 W
Joe Schmo 248-555-3333 C
Joe Schmo joe#schmo.com email

This makes it real fun in my car on the stereo display when I see Joe Schmo 3 times and have to guess which one is which number.

P.S. I don't really know anyone named Joe Schmo. I used that name for demonstration purposes. If your name is Joe Schmo and your number is above, I apologize for giving out your confidential info.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6153 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Terry,

The workaround I use for the massively long address book is to "sort by primary". So only one name shows in the list. You choose the name and toggle between the various numbers. Not as good as other Motorola address books but it helps.

Also, this is one very good reason to make sure your Mac Addressbook is right (work tagged as Work, etc.) If you use list view the different icons show, making toggling between numbers easier.

Linda

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Linda,
Thanks for the great tip! I got all excited thinking that my only complaint with the RAZR (ok, my biggest complain) would be resolved. However, while it worked fine on the phone itself, it still downloads the individual names in the car.

As you can see It's not easy figuring out which entry belongs to which phone number. While you can select an entry and it will display the phone number for that entry, it doesn't tell you if it's a work, cell or home number. So unless I know the number by heart, I would have to choose it and dial it from the phone instead of using the car controls. Not the end of the world considering the RAZR works so nicely in every other way.

My only other wish is that the RAZR would also bring over the contact addresses too. The ultimate would be a phone that has numbers and addresses and the address would automatically tie into the car's GPS navigation. Some day....

quote:
Originally posted by Linda:
Terry,

The workaround I use for the massively long address book is to "sort by primary". So only one name shows in the list. You choose the name and toggle between the various numbers. Not as good as other Motorola address books but it helps.

Also, this is one very good reason to make sure your Mac Addressbook is right (work tagged as Work, etc.) If you use list view the different icons show, making toggling between numbers easier.

Linda

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Terry White,

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

phonebook in car

Posts: 6153 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I recently acquired a Motorola v325 and while it wasn't listed on the list of compatible devices (for iSync 1.5 anyway), it still worked. I just plugged it into my USB cable and iSync recognized it. I only synced the contacts, but calendars are an option.

Posts: 237 | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Does the RAZR do all this wonderful synchingwhen Verizon is the provdier (basic phone service, no data package)?

Could I send over my own ringtone, or is that feature disabled by Verizon?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew :-)

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

Bluetooth has been disabled by Verizon in the RAZR.

No, you can't send your own ringtone, they will sell one to you though Smile

Linda

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linda,

Jedi Knight
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Thanks Linda,

That's just what I thought. I can't get on board with a company that 'dumbs-down' technology in order to line their own pockets.

C'mon iPhone! :-)

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted Hide Post
yeah! where's my iPhone? According to this, maybe the early part of next year?

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/11/20061115090741.shtml

"Where's the RAM."

Posts: 173 | Location: Detroit | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
While I certainly hope Apple delivers an iPhone, the uphill battle will be getting carrier support. The carriers don't like it when they can't control the feature set (Verizon dumbing phones down), or the revenue from the extras such as ringtones, music downloads etc. Now that Cingular is doing their own Music store, it will be interesting to see how much longer they support iTunes phones.

Now if Apple came out with an unlocked GSM world phone iPhone that you could just buy directly from them (and resellers), pop in your Cingular, T-Mobile, etc. SIM card, it would be KILLER!

----

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Unless Apple itself goes into the business of being a cellphone carrier, an Apple iPhone will not solve the problem of Verizon's locking certain functions on any phone. I am on Verizon because I love their coverage areas. I have a Motorola e815 and it syncs fine with iSync, although it did do multiples of each person's data, as Terry mentioned. However, it DID bring in their main email also. It sucked in all 564 of my contacts from Address Book without even taking a breath, after I paired it via Bluetooth. I then combined them into one for each record, so I can use the right/left rocker to select which one I want. Not hard to do. How about looking at that phone if you want Verizon.

Posts: 2289 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
If the phone came "unlocked" for use with multiple carriers, then you wouldn't have to worry about Verizon or any other carrier messing with the phone. They can only do that if you get the phone direct from the carrier.

You can buy unlocked phones from Amazon today, but they cost a lot more, because you lose the carrier subsidy.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5472 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I gave up on the cell phone carriers. I have an AT&T plan that I don't want to give up (it was a bargain), so I bought a totally unlocked Motorola v330 on eBay a few months ago. Syncs beautifully via Bluetooth, and my current ringtone is a clip of The Victors performed by the U of M Marching Band. Created it with iTunes. When I bought the phone, all I had to do was move the simm card from the old phone. A "free" or low cost phone just wasn't worth the increased monthly fees, and I don't like these companies telling my that I can't use a feature on my phone.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3780 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
BUT if you use a simm card, you are definitely not on Verizon, since theirs is a CDMA network. Therefore you cannot use that phone on Verizon. Otherwise it's fine, and if you go outside the USA , that would be the kind of phone you would want. The only caveat is Japan, because they use a specific speed that does not necessarily come on all GSM phones.

Posts: 2289 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Verizon was never a system that I wanted. Not planning on going to Japan, but the phone I chose is a quad-band GSM, which covers just about everywhere. The simm card was one of the things I looked for when I started this cell plan 4 or 5 years ago.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3780 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted Hide Post
I'm getting a FREE motorola PEBL from T-Mobile. It's on the Mac iSync compatilble list so it should work. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. And when I get the cash I'll look into an unlocked phone like the Nokia 5300 or the 7370 (which are totally hot btw)

"Where's the RAM."

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I found this discussion very informative, and I will definitely refer to it the next time my Verizon contract requires renewal.

I do know from speaking to Taiwanese acquaintances that American cell phone companies severely restrict features.

Do you guys know about this website? PhoneScoop.com

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck! Never been there, but it looks cool. Check this one out as well GSMArena.com

"Where's the RAM."

Jedi Knight
Picture of Scott
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe I'll wait till early next year!

iPod Phone spot

[URL=More iPhone info]http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2242[/URL]

"Where's the RAM."